• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

StopSpazzing's Camponotus maritimus Journal (Updated 7-17-18)

maritimus camponotus journal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted July 17 2018 - 2:25 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

So wanted to start my journal of this rare species. Caught same day as Drew, 3-30-2018 at Chaney Trail in Altadena, California. So far moved it into a Standard Nurbs Pencil Box setup. She currently has 5 workers with a small brood pile. I have set up constant supply of sugar water in a small trimmed lid of a soda bottle. Once a week adding a protein source. Seem content with this and may be too much actually.

Highlights I have noticed:

• Dislikes high humidity because didn't have a vent on the pencil box and she moved to the center in a valley of an empty test tube indent in the substrate. After adding a quarter size vent, she moved into test tube.
  • Seems to prefer darker areas, added a cover over half the test tube and she seems more calmer now than before. She still sits closer to entrance most likely due to moisture. May just darken all of the test tube until she has more workers.
  • Even with temps 70-90F she doesn't seem bothered or really moves around to hotter/colder spots, same with the brood.

Check out Drew's journal as well: http://www.formicult...ated-6-10-2018/

Edited by StopSpazzing, July 18 2018 - 3:09 PM.

• Karma and DaveJay like this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maritimus, camponotus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users