• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dom's Crematogaster sp.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 16 2018 - 8:36 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

I believe I caught this queen on June 22nd. I don't know her exact species, but I'm excited to raise a Crematogaster colony. She is currently housed in an Atom B formicarium. At first she was always very stressed when exposed to light, but now she no longer minds it. I've been feeding her drops of honey and she always eats it all at once. She has a big pile of eggs and larva, and I think one pupa which will hopefully soon become her first worker. 

• AntsAreUs, Karma and Rstheant like this

#2 Offline Derpy - Posted July 16 2018 - 8:50 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Nice catch! I have a colony of these girls and they are just soooooooo cute. In my opinion crematogaster have to be the cutest species. I hope your colony does well!
  • giraffedom, VoidElecent and Karma like this

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 16 2018 - 9:28 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

In my opinion crematogaster have to be the cutest species.

Take that back! Tetramorium pulcherrimum are by far the cutest species.

• giraffedom, rdurham02, rbarreto and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Derpy - Posted July 17 2018 - 7:07 AM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Ok fine, loooking at some pictures, Tetramorium pulcherrimum is probably the cutest.
  • rbarreto and Rstheant like this

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 17 2018 - 9:45 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

In my opinion crematogaster have to be the cutest species.

Take that back! Tetramorium pulcherrimum are by far the cutest species.

wow. that's SO cute...

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 17 2018 - 11:54 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Look up calyptomyrmex.

#7 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 17 2018 - 12:02 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

So many cute ants! I have to say though, Crematogaster will probably end up being the cutest ant I ever get to keep. I'm super excited for the little workers to come. I fed her a fruit fly today in hope it would speed up the development of all her larva. She quickly caught it and started feeding them. 

#8 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 17 2018 - 12:08 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Look up calyptomyrmex.

That looks like a big (well very small) ant TEDDY BEAR! I wish I could keep that species...

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#9 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 19 2018 - 2:57 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

It looks like the protein definitely helped. She now has 7 pupae and about 15 larvae. It's crazy how quickly some of these larvae have developed; only two days ago I couldn't see a single pupa. 

• FeedTheAnts and Karma like this

#10 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 25 2018 - 7:00 AM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

The first workers have eclosed! The first one arrived last night. At that time the younger of the two had not started to stretch out her legs quite yet.

This morning, I found the youngest with her legs stretched out and the older of the two helping the queen with brood care. I fed the queen some honey to celebrate. They're so tiny, and I love their little heart-shaped gasters. I'm looking forward to giving them space to forage soon. I can tell there's going to be more coming in the near future.

• rdurham02, Mettcollsuss and Karma like this

#11 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 30 2018 - 6:51 AM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

We have 7 workers now! I can't wait to move them into something bigger where they can forage instead of me just stuffing food into the nest. I fed them half a cricket yesterday and they've already devoured it. 

• rdurham02, Karma and CatsnAnts like this

#12 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 30 2018 - 7:05 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
That’s awesome! I’m still waiting on workers for my crematogaster queen!

Spoiler

#13 Offline giraffedom - Posted July 31 2018 - 10:05 AM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

That’s awesome! I’m still waiting on workers for my crematogaster queen!

I have a second Crematogaster queen, and she's at about the same stage as yours. She has two pupae and a large pile of larvae currently. I think the difference in development times between my two colonies had a lot to do with heat. One was kept at 80F and one was kept around 72F. No surprise, the one kept in hotter conditions got workers first (and is thus featured in this journal). Now I'm keeping the second queen in an 80 degree room as well, hoping to catch her up.

• Karma and CatsnAnts like this

#14 Offline giraffedom - Posted August 14 2018 - 9:35 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

This colony is now at 21 workers, with a huge pile of brood that they've stuck to the ceiling. It's pretty fun to watch them hang and care for larvae at the same time.

• rdurham02, FeedTheAnts and Karma like this

#15 Offline brianhershey - Posted August 28 2018 - 11:03 PM

brianhershey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

You have a winner! I found a colony (100+) in a walnut here in Kansas last year and it's doing really well now (250+), huge brood pile, they LOVE the heating cable I have running under their THA Casita, I run that 12 hours a day and off overnight. I didn't diapause them last winter but will put them on a chilly window sill this year now that they are established. They are very light tolerant and have been in room light all year, but recently I did some experiments and the queen chamber is measurably calmer in the dark.... I can tell they start moving around more when I gently move away a piece of cardboard, making sure there is zero vibration. So now the cardboard stays leaning against the glass, not fully dark but much darker than before.

Looks like yours are ready to expand. If they have other chambers to use, if you feed them cooked chicken, turkey or pork they will break it up and farm a field of it where they have room.

Mine also like crickets, meal worms sliced in half lengthwise and occasional raw honey diluted in water.

Good luck and looking forward to updates!

Brian 

• DaveJay likes this

#16 Offline brianhershey - Posted September 4 2018 - 11:54 AM

brianhershey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Mine also like ... raw honey diluted in water.

I just found out that raw honey and water left to sit will ferment... very toxic for ant food, I'll no longer do that! Apparently processed, or pasteurized honey has the natural yeast removed so no danger of fermenting.

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 26 2018 - 3:52 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I have a queen of this genus. She is waiting until after hibernation to lay. I might hibernate her early (beginning of October maybe) and wake her up early (January to VERY early February). 

#18 Offline brianhershey - Posted September 26 2018 - 4:47 PM

brianhershey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I have a queen of this genus. She is waiting until after hibernation to lay. I might hibernate her early (beginning of October maybe) and wake her up early (January to VERY early February). 

I have two Crem queens I caught a couple weeks ago and no eggs yet, so I suppose I'll do the same. I have a cold window sill I used last year for wintering over. Evenings are now in the 60's here.

#19 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 26 2018 - 6:12 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Very nice journal so far

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 27 2018 - 11:35 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I have two Crem queens I caught a couple weeks ago and no eggs yet, so I suppose I'll do the same. I have a cold window sill I used last year for wintering over. Evenings are now in the 60's here.

Where I live it is 60 for like the whole day but in the morning it is 40.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users