• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica sp. ID (7/16/18) Waukesha, Wisconsin

formica

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 15 2018 - 11:17 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Waukesha, WI
2. Date of collection: 7/16/8
3. Habitat of collection: Sidewalk nearby marsh, surrounded by forest consisting of mostly pine and ash.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 8-9 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: gaster black, thorax red with a bit of black, head red. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: head looks awfully F. obscuripes-esque
7. Distinguishing behavior: NA
8. Nest description: NA

9. Nuptial flight time and date: 7/16/18

I doubt pictures like these will get a sure ID, so I will get more photos when I can (microscopic if needed) just tell me where I need to image the ant.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 16 2018 - 3:50 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You'll need a view of the hair coverage of the head, mesosoma, and gaster from the side. A view of the petiolar crest from the front is also helpful sometimes. I'd also want to see a picture of the clypeus just to be sure which species group she is in.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 16 2018 - 7:11 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Please tell me if I missed anything or need better pictures anywhere.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 16 2018 - 7:54 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Directly from the angles mentioned, please. ;)

These are basically the same as the first photographs.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 16 2018 - 7:55 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 16 2018 - 8:18 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I'll get more pictures in a few days, she's obviously been agitated with me taking her out so much.

Maybe I can get closer and get better angles soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users