• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Firebrick attempt #1

firebrick diy silicone brick formicarium nest

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cfreidsma - Posted July 14 2018 - 11:02 AM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationZeeland, Michigan

Hi everyone,

I recently managed to pick up a rotary tool for pretty cheap. The only place that sells firebrick around here is Menards. I do not know if it is K23, but it was the only option besides online with shipping.

I got these ones:

https://www.menards....44445448340.htm

I also bought this silicone (safe?):

https://www.meijer.c.../7702700284.uts

This is what I have so far. I am probably going to deepen the cells some more. It has two openings for test tubes and/or air. I made those the exact size of the test tubes I use so they fit together. There is also one more opening to connect to an outworld. For now there is the separate cell for the water system. I am thinking of ways to have a longer lasting hydration system though. I'll test this out and go from there.

BJlVEPaPm7.jpg

Figured I better share means I actually managed to make something decent this time  :lol:

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 14 2018 - 1:12 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Looks great. Personally I like my nests to house as many ants as possible instead of looking nice. What are you going to be housing in it?

• cfreidsma likes this

#3 Offline cfreidsma - Posted July 14 2018 - 1:27 PM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I don't know what will go in it yet. All of my queens are in the founding stages right now. When I did the grout picture frame method really tiny ants managed to escape somehow. So I don't know about putting anything like that in these. There is a queen I found earlier this year that is only a couple mm long. I've never seen a queen so tiny. She will go in an Antz for all nest to ensure no escapees.

Other than that I have Tetramorium, Lasius (neoniger and such), and Camponotus pennsylvanicus to consider for these. I'm probably going to make some with bigger cells and some with smaller so I have an assortment for when the time comes. I'm somewhat new to keeping ants, and so the growth speed of each species is something I'll have to figure out. The Camponotus pennsylvanicus may outgrow these too fast for it to be viable. 

Looking at it again, I can probably expand the cells a little in a couple places. 

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 15 2018 - 8:29 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I think you should think about a Lasius species out of your personal 'collection'. I find that Tetramorium are very fast growers and might be better in something a little larger. And Camponotus, they are very large and after about a year they would easily grow out of it, because of there size (size of individual ants, not the size of the colony). Lasius however, is still a fast-growing species but not as fast as TetramoriumJust my personal opinion. Also, I have found this kind of firebrick, which I have had great success with; it's 'chalky' and relatively soft, so you can use a screwdriver to easily carve it.

https://www.delphigl...ools/fire-brick

• cfreidsma likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline cfreidsma - Posted July 15 2018 - 9:27 AM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Alright, I'll make these with Lasius in mind. My yard is almost entirely Lasius and Camponotus. Once around August hits, I find quite a few queens. I still have time to figure out something for the others. Perhaps some larger bead containers with grout in the bottom could work. 

• AntsMaryland likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firebrick, diy, silicone, brick, formicarium, nest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users