• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How do ants hydrate?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 12 2018 - 8:44 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
okay, so here’s he deal: I’m making a grout nest, or at least attempting to, and blah blah blah, I’m adding a hydration chamber that I fill up with water in the grout nest itself. My question is, do ants drink from the hydrated walls of the nest itself, or do I have to provide them with a test tube full of water all the time. I may just drill a little hole from the hydration chamber into one of the nest chambers and plug it with cotton so the ants can drink. What do you think?

Spoiler

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 12 2018 - 10:10 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California
Different ants will have their own preferences for the humidity of the formicarium. you could make the water source your only source of hydration, but that might cause the ants to all move extremely close to the water source and put the brood on the bottom, which might make it harder for you to clean and refill the water. Some ants require their whole nest to be humid, but others don’t really have to live near the source. It would help to determine what species of ants you have, and their humidity preferences. Be prepared to have an easy method to remove your water chamber once it runs out.

I think some forum members have worked on grout nests in which part of it is soaked/submerged in a bowl of water, which can help hydrate the nest with less effort on your part
  • YsTheAnt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users