• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

breeding wild fruit flies!?!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline disasterants - Posted July 10 2018 - 7:35 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

now i understand that if you want to keep ants, you will not only need a sugar source but also a source of protein as well. and i know that many of you guys use fruit flies as that main protien source. but most of you guys are probably using flightless fruit flies... but i have found a way to breed flying fruit flies for my ants and successfully capture them and store them for the future and i will show you my results in this video. i also posted some earlier videos on failed attempts to start fruit fly cultures from the wild and you can go into those too but this is my refined method of doing so. its pretty much the same as breeding flightless besides the method of transport, and I'm still refining that but this is where I've gotten so far.

hope you guys can learn something from this... my method still needs some improving since i still get about half of them escaping... here are my earlier attempts if you want to get into them but the video above will teach you most of what you need to know about culturing flies... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users