• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding Honeybee pollen( Pollen Patties) Substitute to Weaver Ants?

pollen substitute

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 5:22 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am wondering if feeding pollen (aka pollen patties) substitute manufactured for use in honeybees to give them protein and essential nutrients will be alright to use as a protein substitute for weaver ants (Oecophylla smaragdina) or ants in general?

Weaver ants are the only natural pollinators in Cape York, due to the lack of bee pollinators there. This got me wondering if they are actually consuming the pollen? Anyway I would assume a pollen protein source would be better for them than whey milk products?

Just trying to minimize the need to kill insects every time I want to feed protein. I was thinking of buying this 'Bee build protein sausage' and dissolving it in water and feeding it to the ants in place of the sugar water, as I have read sugar water is lacking in essential nutrients, and when bees are fed sugar water they find it is an incomplete food.

I know bees are different to ants, but they are similar that I thought it wasn't too crazy an idea to at least try. My thinking is unless the pollen dissolves in the water( which I don't think it does) then this idea is a dud, but thought there was no harm in asking. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

#2 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 5:34 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I just found out you can buy bee pollen from health food stores and dissolve it in water- would this also be an adequate protein source? As it is already pre-digested by the bees so probably easier for the ants to consume and dissolves in water according to this article:

http://www.peashealt...inst-hay-fever/

#3 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 6:18 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Just found this study which seems to suggest some tropical ants do eat pollen! http://link.springer...0040-015-0402-x

#4 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 6:54 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Just found this stating that ants also eat the nectar from flowers, so perhaps even just giving your ants flowers could provide them with all the protein and amino acids they need from the flower secretions alone?

http://www.antweb.or...cia-wa-usa.html

I have read a lot of people who grow crops like peppers and zucchini mention finding ants all over their plants flowers- so who knows this could be an idea with real potential.

#5 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 7:30 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Answered my own question. According to google pollen can range in size from 6 microns to 100 microns.

According to this article the Carpenter Ant Camponotus pennsylvanicus can consume particles up to 100 microns in size. http://blog.wildabou...-ant-digestion/

So that would mean yes depending on their size it is most likely most ants can consume pollen. Especially weaver ants as they are about the same size as a Carpenter ant and I daresay that correlates with the particle size they can consume. This is such a great thing. Imagine how much more healthier our ants can be if we are able to give them all those essential nutrients, amino acids and calcium via pollen! No more killing! And maybe it will help someone keep weaver ants for longer than a year in captivity!

Edited by laowai, September 22 2015 - 7:36 AM.

#6 Offline JakobS - Posted September 22 2015 - 7:30 AM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationState College PA

I would be hesitant to assume that because ants have been seen to eat pollen, that it can be given as the sole protein source. Weaver ants are generalist predators and thus are looking for different qualities and quantities of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats throughout the year. Being able to choose from a variety of insects and sugars is the best way to insure they will be able to raise healthy brood and workers.  I know this makes it complicated, ants are a rather complex insect family though, and require the variety to meet ever changing needs and pressures placed upon the colony. 

#7 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 7:41 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Oh yes I completely agree. I didn't mean pollen as a sole protein source. I know weavers are generalist predators and will consume carrion and insects. I just thought from the vitamin and amino acid perspective that pollen might be a valuable thing to add to an ant colonies diet. 

#8 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 7:57 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I think with nutrition there are no set rules, I mean look at how the vegetarian Rainbow Lorikeets here in Brisbane became carnivorous http://www.abc.net.a...experts/6337984

I can see people adding a few pieces of pollen to the standard sugar water in the future with great benefits. Maybe it will even become a common practice in the future. 

• DaveJay likes this

#9 Offline dermy - Posted September 22 2015 - 10:34 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I would be hesitant to assume that because ants have been seen to eat pollen, that it can be given as the sole protein source. Weaver ants are generalist predators and thus are looking for different qualities and quantities of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats throughout the year. Being able to choose from a variety of insects and sugars is the best way to insure they will be able to raise healthy brood and workers.  I know this makes it complicated, ants are a rather complex insect family though, and require the variety to meet ever changing needs and pressures placed upon the colony. 

I have to agree there, nothing should ever be given as a sole protein source, variety is the key to any diet. Ants were made to eat insects and that's what they do :P

#10 Offline laowai - Posted September 22 2015 - 7:00 PM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Well someone on another forum made this discover ages ago. and has pictures of brood with pollen in their stomachs, and the thread is almost a decade old.

The thread got two replies and that was it. Nobody investigated the claims further or tried to show an interest in the discovery.

It kind of makes one wonder why they even bother talking on ant forums. 

You have to admit this will be a good way to add much needed vitamins and amino acids to our ants diet, and complement the existing diet quite well. 

#11 Offline kellakk - Posted September 22 2015 - 9:19 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

This sounds like a good idea as a relatively easy way to add some protein to ant diets.  I may try giving ants whole flowers to test receptivity first though.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#12 Offline stuhrike - Posted September 22 2015 - 11:39 PM

stuhrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Well someone on another forum made this discover ages ago. and has pictures of brood with pollen in their stomachs, and the thread is almost a decade old.

The thread got two replies and that was it. Nobody investigated the claims further or tried to show an interest in the discovery.

You have to admit this will be a good way to add much needed vitamins and amino acids to our ants diet, and complement the existing diet quite well. 

I don't know where you're from, but for some of us, you started posting at 6:22AM.  

Now, I honestly don't know where most people are from but I would guess a fair amount of us on here are from California...so...we were all probably sleeping or getting ready for work while you spammed your own thread with albeit, possibly useful information.  

Ant keeping isn't a gigantic hobby which means there aren't many of us.  On top of that, most of us don't spend our entire lives on here (especially since anting season is almost over).  

So chill.  Let people get to your post in time and welcome to the forum.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 23 2015 - 12:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Also, since everybody has to have their own forum now, that just means even less people on each one unfortunately.

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 23 2015 - 1:29 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Maybe I'll look into this.  Thanks for all the links.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline laowai - Posted September 23 2015 - 1:59 AM

laowai

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I don't know where you're from, but for some of us, you started posting at 6:22AM.  

Now, I honestly don't know where most people are from but I would guess a fair amount of us on here are from California...so...we were all probably sleeping or getting ready for work while you spammed your own thread with albeit, possibly useful information.  

Ant keeping isn't a gigantic hobby which means there aren't many of us.  On top of that, most of us don't spend our entire lives on here (especially since anting season is almost over).  

So chill.  Let people get to your post in time and welcome to the forum.

Huh? I am talking about a thread on another forum where someone mentioned feeding pollen to their ants and it got one reply and zero response from the ant community. I wasn't referring to this thread getting no replies, but the other thread on another forum. I just found the other thread and it is almost a decade old, so it surprised me nobody else had found it or seen it. 

I'm just putting out my thoughts, before they are lost. 

My ant diet is going to consist sugar water( carbohydrates), water, bee pollen( amino acids, vitamins, calcium). And I will then add protein once a week in the form of freeze dried blood worms/ krill pellets/carnivorous fish pellets.

I may add the odd piece of fruit, hard boiled egg, insect, flower, beef or fish mince every once in a while for variety. 

I'm going to try keeping it simple and cheap. As part of the reason most people own ants is because they want a cheap easy pet alternative, well that is one reason why I plan on keeping them.

Happy anting. 

• DaveJay likes this

#16 Offline Crystals - Posted September 23 2015 - 9:15 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have offered granulated pollen to all of my colonies outworlds in the past.  They all dumped it in the garbage pile.

Formica podzolica/aserva/ulkei, Camponotus herculeanus/novaeboracensis, Myrmica, Aphaenogaster occidentalis, Crematogaster, and Tapinoma sessile.  None of them touched it, other than to dump it in the garbage pile.  I even tried moistening it with hummingbird nectar after they dumped it.  One or two drank the nectar and ignored the pollen.

Then again, none of these species are noted for intentionly transporting pollen.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#17 Offline stuhrike - Posted September 23 2015 - 5:57 PM

stuhrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

That's cool laowai.  Just thought you were attacking us :P

But let us know how it turns out.  It'd be interesting to see and I'm sure drtrmiller is very interested in your work.

I'm curious too but I'm far too lazy to try it out.  Makes me curious since Crystals said solid form didn't work for her.

#18 Offline William. T - Posted September 23 2015 - 6:27 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I got some before. My ants ignored it after a good inspection. 

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#19 Offline skocko76 - Posted July 12 2018 - 3:57 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The same. Not accepted by ants. Haven't tried dissolving it in water, though.

#20 Offline skocko76 - Posted July 12 2018 - 11:55 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The same. Not accepted by ants. Haven't tried dissolving it in water, though.

I have dissolved it water today. It was stellarly ignored. 'nuff said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users