• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild Camponotas colony from Tree

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted July 8 2018 - 2:00 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Cut down a tree that had fallen over the winter in my yard today. The lower trunk was a large Camponotas colony. Most of it got destroyed and hauled off but I'm pretty sure I got the queen before she scurried back into a small piece of the wood. I grabbed as many ants I could and any that were carrying brood. I've also seen some workers moving brood in and out of the log I saved. 

I put them all in a small plastic container with a moat around it to keep them in it temporarily. I'm going to try and make something to house them in. 

If I did in fact get the queen what is the likelihood I'm able to revive the colony? What should I do or need to do to help them along. What is a good formicarium for larger ants that I could make easily? Grout?

Anything else I should know ? This is my first year with ants and I've only tried catching queens in testtubes so far. I just figured this was an opportunity and they would have most likely all been burned with the wood and debris

Thanks for any info

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 8 2018 - 3:41 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Definitely possible to keep them. I keep colonies I have caught quite a bit like my Camponotus subbarbatus colony. As long as you don't force them to move into anywhere I would imagine they should do fine. Grout is a good material to build formicarium with.

#3 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted July 8 2018 - 7:30 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Thanks Antsareus, 

I'm trying to figure out what the quickest and easiest formicarium I could make would be. 

I'm also not sure how I will get them to leave the log they are in and go to the formicarium I make. So I'm currently researching and looking into these questions. 

#4 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 8 2018 - 7:35 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Thanks Antsareus, 

I'm trying to figure out what the quickest and easiest formicarium I could make would be. 

I'm also not sure how I will get them to leave the log they are in and go to the formicarium I make. So I'm currently researching and looking into these questions. 

If you're going to order one, I recommend TarheelAnts' Mini-Hearth Type III. I did a very similar thing with Camponotus discolor, and housed them in that. They're doing great now.

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 8 2018 - 7:37 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Thanks Antsareus, 

Assuming the log is tough enough to not be able to break into easily, then the best thing you can do is hook it up to a nest/outworld and hope they move in after it becomes too dry. 

#6 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted July 9 2018 - 12:00 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Yeah the log is pretty hard about a foot in length. i was kind of thinking of making a plastic or plexiglass container and placing the log into it then they could continue using the log for their nest. I'd probably create a clear cover with some mesh for ventilation. Seems like it might be the easiest method. 

#7 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 9 2018 - 1:02 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Yeah the log is pretty hard about a foot in length. i was kind of thinking of making a plastic or plexiglass container and placing the log into it then they could continue using the log for their nest. I'd probably create a clear cover with some mesh for ventilation. Seems like it might be the easiest method. 

If you are doing this, make sure you at least have a test tube filled with water and plugged up with cotton so that they can get a drink. Camponotus generally like pretty dry nests so it might be hard to get them to move out. If you don't mind not seeing inside the nest then you should be fine.

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 9 2018 - 2:17 PM.

• dermy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users