• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

hello from the uk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_n_Deccy - Posted July 6 2018 - 11:52 AM

Ants_n_Deccy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hi all we are new here and very new to ant keeping. we literally caught our first queen a couple days ago as she was dropping her wings :)

we went online and bought an antkit starter kit as she is in a plastic tub at the moment but we can't see in and keep an eye on her. 

my very first question is can we just dig up some dirt from the garden for the tub? if not what would you suggest me get.

really looking forward to watching a colony (hopefully) grow

#2 Offline Nare - Posted July 6 2018 - 12:18 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

hi all we are new here and very new to ant keeping. we literally caught our first queen a couple days ago as she was dropping her wings :)

we went online and bought an antkit starter kit as she is in a plastic tub at the moment but we can't see in and keep an eye on her. 

my very first question is can we just dig up some dirt from the garden for the tub? if not what would you suggest me get.

really looking forward to watching a colony (hopefully) grow

Hello,

A lot of people would say to get dirt from a store, or cook the dirt you get from the garden in the oven to sterilize it. I don't think you need soil for your antkit formicarium though. If it's arriving in a couple days, I'd just pass up the soil. As long as the queen has some moisture, via a damp cotton ball or maybe some paper towel she should be fine for now. Do you have the link to the formicarium you've bought?

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

• Ants_n_Deccy likes this

#3 Offline Ants_n_Deccy - Posted July 7 2018 - 7:16 AM

Ants_n_Deccy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the reply we have this one
https://antkit.uk/co...er-kit-1-medium
It's here already but I think we are going to get a second nest as the other side is open. I guess we could block it but not sure what to use.

#4 Offline Nare - Posted July 9 2018 - 6:20 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Thank you for the reply we have this one
https://antkit.uk/co...er-kit-1-medium
It's here already but I think we are going to get a second nest as the other side is open. I guess we could block it but not sure what to use.

Yeah, for that nest you don't need substrate. As for blocking off one of the entrances, you can just use cotton balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users