• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Major’s Ant Journal

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#61 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 15 2018 - 3:03 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

good luck on the black lighting. ill probably get a black light trap next year. it'll be better too when i have my own house XD

Ironic thing is I’m looking for an actual house currently (to get out of my apartment). I was just speaking with a real estate agent. Lol

what a coincidence lol

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#62 Offline Major - Posted August 16 2018 - 5:43 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Blacklighting was a huge success! Four queens (Lasius sp?) Now I just need a different location...

#63 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 16 2018 - 9:53 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

That wild colony I caught? Yes they have a queen. And someone said that they are Tapinoma

if they were in a nut they are temnothorax (btw you spelled temnothorax wrong)

#64 Offline Major - Posted August 16 2018 - 10:07 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

That wild colony I caught? Yes they have a queen. And someone said that they are Tapinoma

if they were in a nut they are temnothorax (btw you spelled temnothorax wrong)

Yes, I realized they were Temnothorax. Someone already told me but thanks

#65 Offline Major - Posted August 16 2018 - 10:10 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
YEAH FINNALY!!!

Ok maybe I'm overreacting but I caught a Ponera colony! I haven't even seen a worker before and now a queen and a colony! That's amazing! I don't know where to start with carving for these. I know they live in dirt, so will a testtube setup with dirty world? What do they eat, springtails? I am probably going to sell or trade them but it'll be fun while I have them.
  • Zxirl likes this

#66 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 16 2018 - 11:00 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

YEAH FINNALY!!!

Ok maybe I'm overreacting but I caught a Ponera colony! I haven't even seen a worker before and now a queen and a colony! That's amazing! I don't know where to start with carving for these. I know they live in dirt, so will a testtube setup with dirty world? What do they eat, springtails? I am probably going to sell or trade them but it'll be fun while I have them.

So cool! Where did you find them? I am hoping to catch a colony or queen of these, myself.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#67 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 16 2018 - 11:02 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Oh, and I believe taking a test tube with a little bit of dirt at the bottom should be just fine; you might want to get someone else's thoughts first, though. :D

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#68 Offline Major - Posted August 16 2018 - 12:22 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

YEAH FINNALY!!!

So cool! Where did you find them? I am hoping to catch a colony or queen of these, myself.

I went a day after a large Lasius nuptial flight (today) and was digging "Founding chamber" in a not so lush lawn next to a creek, turned out to be ponera Pennsylvanica

#69 Offline Major - Posted August 18 2018 - 9:56 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I was putting luggage in my trunk yesterday and under a light I found a yellow Lasius Queen. Put her in a test tube.

So, today I am driving to PA to a Water Park Resort called “Great Wolf Lodge.” That’s why I was putting luggage in my trunk yesterday. The hardest part was packing my ants, mealworms. blacklight setup, and all my other anting equipment. I went through so much tape... I probably won’t be able to update for a few days because I am also going to NYC tomorrow.
  • DaveJay likes this

#70 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 18 2018 - 10:44 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

I was putting luggage in my trunk yesterday and under a light I found a yellow Lasius Queen. Put her in a test tube.

So, today I am driving to PA to a Water Park Resort called “Great Wolf Lodge.” That’s why I was putting luggage in my trunk yesterday. The hardest part was packing my ants, mealworms. blacklight setup, and all my other anting equipment. I went through so much tape... I probably won’t be able to update for a few days because I am also going to NYC tomorrow.

you took your ants with you?

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#71 Offline Major - Posted August 18 2018 - 8:11 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Yeah, they all need specific care and a pet sitter wouldn’t be able to do it all. It’s worth it though.

#72 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 18 2018 - 8:27 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

How long are you planning on being away???

#73 Offline Major - Posted August 18 2018 - 8:53 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I will most likely be back within a week or so. Hopefully some updates along the way.
  • DaveJay likes this

#74 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 18 2018 - 11:46 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

For a week, I would have just left them be and I definitely wouldn't post about breaking the law. Careful with the update saying what all you caught with your anting equipment in PA that shouldn't come back to NY with you.  

• Spamdy likes this

#75 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 19 2018 - 10:14 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

It's not technically breaking the law to be honest. New York and Pennsylvania are right next to each other, and it's not as if ants follow state lines. I don't think 250 miles of traveling with your ants would suddenly cause a displacement of native species. Although you have a point when you say that they can be left alone for a week without causing much harm.

For a week, I would have just left them be and I definitely wouldn't post about breaking the law. Careful with the update saying what all you caught with your anting equipment in PA that shouldn't come back to NY with you.  

• Major likes this

#76 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 19 2018 - 10:22 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

U.S law is U.S law. A law is a law. Under no circumstances should you give yourself an excuse that you can. (Unless you do have a permit) I would also not "advise" or promote breaking the law, especially to newer ant keepers. Just stop. A law is not up to you to decide if you can breach it or not.

Edited by Spamdy, August 19 2018 - 10:25 AM.

• dermy likes this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#77 Offline Major - Posted August 19 2018 - 12:23 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I didn’t collect anything when I was in Pennsylvania. I didn’t even open the box with my ants. I am currently 22 minutes away from NYC. Once I get their I will open them up. Please don’t start a debate about bringing ants over state lines. I didn’t collect anything, nor did I sell/trade/buy anything. The law is their only beacause people don’t want displacement of a native species nor do they want any invasive species to become native to their area. I didn’t even open the box with my ants. I still do understand that this isn’t something I should do In the future. I had to go on a very short notice so didn’t have time to hire a pet sitter.

#78 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 19 2018 - 1:09 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

So you took the ants to PA (illegally) because you couldn't leave them alone for a week, and brought your blacklight setup and anting gear, but didn't even open the box? Well I'm convinced. XD

#79 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 19 2018 - 1:38 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

[Deleted] 

Edited by AntsMaryland, August 19 2018 - 1:40 PM.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#80 Offline Major - Posted August 19 2018 - 2:42 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

So you took the ants to PA (illegally) because you couldn't leave them alone for a week, and brought your blacklight setup and anting gear, but didn't even open the box? Well I'm convinced. XD

I brought my blacklight to go looking in NYC. The ants and the blacklight were in the same box. I just arrived in nyc and I have opened the box. Believe me or not.

Edit: Can we leave this as a journal and not a debate thread?

Edited by Major, August 19 2018 - 2:42 PM.

• Spamdy, FeedTheAnts, AntsMaryland and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users