• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant, Adelaide, South Australia

adelaide australia queen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 5 2018 - 12:32 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
1. Location (on a map) of collection: 
Sa
glenside

2. Date of collection:25th May 2018
3. Habitat of collection: City garden courtyard 
4. Length (from head to gaster): approx 10mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: predominantly black/very dark grey 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: single hump on petiole (I think), faint banding on gaster.
7. Distinguishing behavior:
8. Nest description: Lone ant on pavement, photo of founding chamber and eggs

9. Nuptial flight time and date: There were no other Queens or males present.

Unable to take side on photos as the sides of the container aren't clear enough, photos taken upon arriving home. I was not expecting to keep this ant so it was not housed properly.

A3
A2
A1
A5
A4

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted July 5 2018 - 2:04 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Iridomyrmex sp. I think. Heard they were flying right now even though I'm not sure if this is the time they fly normally.
  • DaveJay likes this

#3 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 5 2018 - 3:10 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Thanks, that was my best guess but only because it matched someone elses best guess!

Until I found this queen, at the end of may, I had no real intention of ants, I just looked up a few things, saw a big ant, thought it had wing muscles and scars so I thought a mate might want it. It pretty much laid eggs straight away so now I'm an ant dad.

#4 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 5 2018 - 3:25 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Iridomyrmex sp. I think. Heard they were flying right now even though I'm not sure if this is the time they fly normally.

I found it on the 25th of May, well into "poo" weather! I think it got flooded out.

I went to the same exact place (same bench) for a month, no signs of nuptial flights, the same cigarette buts were on the path and while sitting a lone ant passed.

Edited by DaveJay, July 5 2018 - 3:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adelaide, australia, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users