• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nare's Reticulitermes Flavipes Journal

reticulitermes flavipes journal termites

43 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 4 2019 - 5:29 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Oh if Reticulitermes used to be illegal to ship then the ones from Carolina Biological are most likely Zootermopsis. And they do sell cultures of 100 workers. Is the Termitat good in your opinion?

• Nare likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma sessile

Lasius aphidicola, Brachymyrmex depilis

Formica pallidefulva, Myrmica cf. punctiventris

Formica neogagates, Myrmica sp.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Lasius neoniger

Lasius brevicornis

Crematogaster cerasi

#42 Offline Nare - Posted September 4 2019 - 5:36 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Oh if Reticulitermes used to be illegal to ship then the ones from Carolina Biological are most likely Zootermopsis. And they do sell cultures of 100 workers. Is the Termitat good in your opinion?

Afaik Carolina and Wards had special permits to ship termites, probably with the idea that they're used for scientific reasons. The termitat is definitely a good choice, I know a few members around here have had them, and they seem content with them.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

I keep termites - check them out! I've also made a guide...

#43 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 5 2019 - 1:54 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I think I'll buy the Termitat once I save up enough money. I just want to have some termites to look at and the Termitat is an idiot proof way to get that. Reticulitermes seems nice but I'm not convinced I wouldn't end up killing them. I wonder why more people on this forum don't try to keep termites. 

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, September 5 2019 - 1:55 PM.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma sessile

Lasius aphidicola, Brachymyrmex depilis

Formica pallidefulva, Myrmica cf. punctiventris

Formica neogagates, Myrmica sp.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Lasius neoniger

Lasius brevicornis

Crematogaster cerasi

#44 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 6 2019 - 5:32 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think I'll buy the Termitat once I save up enough money. I just want to have some termites to look at and the Termitat is an idiot proof way to get that. Reticulitermes seems nice but I'm not convinced I wouldn't end up killing them. I wonder why more people on this forum don't try to keep termites.

I know why. Their parents do not let them. No matter what the termite enthusiast says, they will still just keep saying no.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Colonies:
Nylanderia vividula
Pheidole navigans
Camponotus hyatti
Founding queens:   Lasius cf.americanus, Solenopsis molesta, Temnothorax cf. nevadnsis, , Camponotus vicinus, Pogonomyrmex californicus, and a Leptothorax species.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reticulitermes, flavipes, journal, termites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users