• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mealworms, What Now?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major - Posted July 3 2018 - 1:38 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
So I got 12 mealworms from petco. How do I breed/care/raise them? I’m using them as food for my ants. How do I kill them in the most humane way?(besides boiling or freezing) Do they bite? Should I put them into the Outworld live?

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 3 2018 - 1:55 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Feeding them alive isn't a good idea as some ants can't kill mealworms. 12 probably wouldn't be great to start breeding with. To care for them just place them in a plastic container with a grain that has calcium in it and feed them potato or carrots. You would probably want to use carrots with only 12 though. They will not bite at all because of how small they are. As for killing, I'm not sure about a humane way of killing them without freezing or boiling. I personally freeze all mine for about 15-30 min which seems to kill them and any grain mites that might be on them.

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 3 2018 - 1:56 PM.

#3 Offline Major - Posted August 7 2018 - 2:36 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Well I did buy some more and now am at around 70. I fed them an apple slice and they devoured it. I tried feeding one live to my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus with 30+ workers and they killed it. I'm impressed. I keep them in a container with oats and the occasional fruit/veggie. How long till reproduction?

Edited by Major, August 7 2018 - 2:36 PM.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 7 2018 - 4:01 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Well I did buy some more and now am at around 70. I fed them an apple slice and they devoured it. I tried feeding one live to my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus with 30+ workers and they killed it. I'm impressed. I keep them in a container with oats and the occasional fruit/veggie. How long till reproduction?

I avoid fruits because they can mold very easily. It should take about 3-4 months from the mealworms you have now to new baby mealworms. This depends a lot on heat.

#5 Offline Major - Posted August 7 2018 - 4:50 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Should I put some of their nest on a heat pad?

#6 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 7 2018 - 5:19 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Should I put some of their nest on a heat pad?

I would say no, the better way is to have a warmer ambient temperature than direct heating. You could use a heat lamp over their setup.

#7 Offline Ant Broski - Posted August 7 2018 - 5:19 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA

So I got 12 mealworms from petco. How do I breed/care/raise them? I’m using them as food for my ants. How do I kill them in the most humane way?(besides boiling or freezing) Do they bite? Should I put them into the Outworld live?

The way I raise and breed my mealworms is by raising them in one of those critter keeper cages on a thin layer of the desert beetle substrate that Peter Clauson sells https://shop.bugsinc...?productId=481. I just feed them pieces of vegetables and pieces of oats. I haven't experienced any grain mite or mold issues yet using this method yet, I’ve only used this method for a year and but it seems that the mealworms are growing at fast enough rate fir me to feed my ants.

#8 Offline Major - Posted August 7 2018 - 5:20 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
That is exactly what I'm doing.
  • Ant Broski likes this

#9 Offline Trythis22 - Posted August 7 2018 - 8:26 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

I bought refrigerated giant mealworms from PetCo. Rumor has it they are sterile because they are fed differently but nobody had empirical evidence. Why would they be sterile? Seemed like an excuse for impatience to me. I tested it out and they are not sterile. Anyways here's my experience with them. 

- Will grow and pupate pretty fast onward from 1/2" to 1" size. About 1 month for 90% of a batch of 100 mealworms starting out at that size to pupate. I had 13 deaths at the larval stage, but the refrigeration prior may have been a factor.

- Pupae will become beetles in 1 week. I did cook them more than the mealworms so their development may have been faster than normal. 4 pupae dried up and/or was eaten. 

- Beetles start mating as early as 3 days after they "hatch". I moved the beetles to a new bedding after 2 weeks. The "oldest" beetles were in that nest for 3 weeks. 

- I saw little mealworms after 2 weeks of moving the beetles. So the eggs took any time from 5-2 weeks to hatch; most likely much closer to 5-4 weeks since they are very small. 

- Am currently recording the time it takes for mealworms to mature since this is my first generation in captivity. Biggest one is bigger than a Tetramorium nanitic. They are about 1-2 weeks old now. Lots of them wriggling about, I'll probably need to cull them like I did with the fruit flies. 

Heating was bottom only, 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. The top was close to room temperature, but they were obviously not dying from heat exhaustion. Each stage of mealworm was kept separately. Wheat bran, cabbage and carrots. 

• Ant Broski likes this

#10 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 7 2018 - 8:30 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

With room temperature, this is what I had after 4 months as the 2nd generation. Currently I have loads of beetles and a LOT more mealworms shortly on the way as the 3rd generation. Keep in mind I only started with 100. They seem to grow exponentially.

IAZy4FG.jpg

Edited by AntsAreUs, August 7 2018 - 8:34 PM.

• Zxirl likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users