• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsBC's Tetramorium immigrans Journal

tetramorium immigrans antsbc canada ant queen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 2 2018 - 9:23 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Hey everyone,

Just yesterday i was outside playing basketball when out of the corner of my eye i saw a winged insect on the ground. At first I thought it was a Tetramorium male, but i quickly identified it as a T. immigrans queen. Now here's a tip for you newer ant keepers: always carry a snap cap vial or collecting container on you. Luckily i was armed with a snap cap vial so i was able to collect her. I know that Tetramorium isn't exactly a "rare" or special genus, but I decided to start this journal anyways as this was my first Tetramorium queen of the year. Last year i collected one tetra queen and she started a colony, so i'm hoping this queen will do the same. Now, back to the journal. I had to leave to go into town right after I caught the queen, so i quickly grabbed a test tube and left her in that while I was gone. When I came back the queen had shedded one wing (Which is a good indication she may be mated). I cleaned out a test tube and prepared it for the queen. After putting her in the water filled test tube, I noticed her wings were getting stuck on the sides and cotton of the test tube. Knowing that this would be an ongoing problem I didn't want to deal with, I grabbed scissors and nipped the problem in the butt. When trimming her wings she didn't get too worked up, and right after I had finished she ran into the test tube without me even having to coax her in. She licked her self a ton while in the test tube, so I think she is happy with the setup. I'm really hoping she will be able to rear a brood and colony. Tetramorium is one of my favourite species as they are very willing to raise colonies in captivity, and I have high hopes for this queen. I will be updating you guys on her progress so please stick around! 

(P.S. Sorry that i don't have photos. In my next update I will be sure to include them)

Edited by AntsBC, October 25 2018 - 8:23 PM.

• AntsMaryland likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#2 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 27 2018 - 9:13 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Well the queen escaped somehow. She still had her wings on and hadn't laid eggs so I'm not too upset. I'm going to keep this journal around and I will post once I catch another Tetramorium queen.

Edited by AntsBC, July 27 2018 - 9:18 AM.

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 23 2019 - 6:08 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Update?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, immigrans, antsbc, canada, ant, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users