• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Temnothorax curvispinosus - Founding habits

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Martialis - Posted July 1 2018 - 8:09 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Recently, there was a large flight in which many of the native smaller ants flew in my area. Among these were Temnothorax curvispinosus, of which I captured three queens which are housed together in a small (~1.5in[3.81cm] diameter) petri dish with a hydrostone substrate.

However, I am worried that either this habitat won't be conductive for them or they will not be fed properly.

Do I need to feed them while founding? Move them into a test tube? How do I make sure they succeed?

Thanks in advance.

Spoiler

#2 Offline BMM - Posted July 1 2018 - 10:22 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I caught a ton of them last year and in my experience they're a very hardy species. Mine started eating shortly after the first workers arrived and they easily have the largest appetite of any of the ant species I've collected. They dogpile sugar water and swarm any source of protein I give them.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 1 2018 - 12:24 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

They are fully claustral Martialis. They are also very polygynous from what I know. I have caught some too.

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 1 2018 - 12:24 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline Zxirl - Posted July 7 2018 - 1:35 PM

Zxirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

They are fully claustral Martialis. They are also very polygynous from what I know. I have caught some too.

I've got 3 queens, only 1 with eggs right now. Would you recommend moving them into 1 single test tube?

Spoiler

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 15 2018 - 9:36 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Where are they being housed currently? I would recommend a  test tube set up. Remember; ants like small spaces for founding.

#6 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 15 2018 - 9:50 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I'm currently working on a 2 in 1 bioactive setup for really tiny ants such as these. I'll be posting about hopefully soon. It should be semi self maintainable with springtails, mites, and other smaller organisms that help clean the setup and act as prey for the ants. You would be able to drop things in for the organisms to eat and reproduce for the ants.

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 15 2018 - 10:25 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I find T. curvispinosus founding more successful if kept in groups of 2-4.  I keep mine in 16mm test tubes which is still huge for them, but the water lasts a while.

#8 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 15 2018 - 11:47 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I tried to put two of these queens together but one killed the other. She almost has workers now.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#9 Offline Major - Posted August 15 2018 - 11:58 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
I just caught a colony of 19 workers today, is a test tube alright?

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 16 2018 - 5:45 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I just caught a colony of 19 workers today, is a test tube alright?

A test tube connected to a out world should work. You can also put the test tube in a clear tub. That is called tubs and tubes method by Ants Australia.

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 16 2018 - 1:35 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
These queens generally kill each other during founding, but once established will accept new queens.
  • AntsAreUs likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users