• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Barbatus founding tips?

pogonomyrmex barbatus colorado

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Waganga - Posted June 29 2018 - 7:43 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Hi all,

Went out looking for Formica queens today, and happily came back with three queens of another species, Pogonomyrmex Barbatus. After creating basic test tube set ups for them, I realized they're semi-claustral! So, I went looking for some information... I read through this old thread, which was really helpful for food choices and temperature/humidity information. BUT, I still have a few questions, and thought it would be inappropriate to resurrect a zombie thread...

I'm not super prepared to house semi-claustral species. What is a simple, at home way to care for these guys? Would it be ok to make a (sterilized) native soil "dirt box" situation inside a pickle jar/mason jar? I'd likely punch a hole in the lid, and stuff some cotton in there for good measure. But, I noticed these guys can't really climb glass, so I'd feel pretty safe without a barrier. 

What do these guys want for enrichment? I noticed the exterior of their natural nest is essentially a giant pile of pea gravel. If I make small formicariums out of jars and dirt, should I mix in some (sterilized) gravel as well? Or just put a layer on top? Is there anything else they like to build with?

It seems like they want to go pretty deep when they dig their initial nest, at least from the looks of Dspdrew's various Pogonomyrmex journals. Is there any "official" info on their preferred depth?

How many workers can I expect by hibernation time this year? What about next year? (Just to gauge how much space they'll need!)

Big thanks to anyone who can offer advice!

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 29 2018 - 8:03 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Pogonomyrmex in general do very well in dirtbox setups, but keeping them properly hydrated can be a pain, unless it's designed like or is dspdrew's dirtbox style.  One way some people, for example Nurbs, keeps his Pogonomyrmex is to get a container, fill the base with hydrostone, and lay a test tube in there (set up like usual) and leave the end open, so they can go out and forage.  Here is what I am referring to.

A good substrate for them, if you choose to go with a dirtbox, is a clay and sand mix, although I do not know the best ratio for this.  It could be found somewhere in dspdrew's formicarium design journals.

This genus loves various seeds and grains.  At least for Pogonomyrmex californicus, they love grass seed, niger seeds, poppy seeds, quinoa, and some others.  Here is a link where you can see a list of preferred food. 

There is no official depth preferred by this species, as far as I am aware.  It will just get deeper as time goes on, or they'll just dig to the sides if they can.

I'm pretty sure they don't need hibernation, at least I have never hibernated Pogonomyrmex californicus.  Then again, you are from Colorado, so you might actually need to.  For me, keeping them at room temperature, they laid eggs within a month, so they might be a little on the slower side of growing in numbers at first.  

Edited by Zeiss, June 29 2018 - 8:04 PM.

• Scrixx likes this

#3 Offline piratechef - Posted June 29 2018 - 9:07 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

Although I am no expert. I have caught some Pogonomyrmex queens recently, three have eggs already in test tube set ups. I'm planning on setting up some of the plaster founding formicariums for them and any Camponotus queens I end up catching. I also heard they do really well in THA Devolve chambers or minihearths if ya have the money. Also congrats on catching a Barbatus up this far north. I've only been catching occidentialis around where I live. :D  Best of luck :rolleyes:

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 29 2018 - 9:19 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Although I am no expert. I have caught some Pogonomyrmex queens recently, three have eggs already in test tube set ups. I'm planning on setting up some of the plaster founding formicariums for them and any Camponotus queens I end up catching. I also heard they do really well in THA Devolve chambers or minihearths if ya have the money. Also congrats on catching a Barbatus up this far north. I've only been catching occidentialis around where I live. :D  Best of luck :rolleyes:

I do have to suggest you not keep them in test tubes for too long.  In my experience, they do not last in the long run if only kept in a tube.  I'm glad you'll be setting them up with a foraging space.

#5 Offline Waganga - Posted June 30 2018 - 8:51 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I kinda figured dirt box would be the ideal with the materials I already have. I haven't got the supplies to do the pencil case with the hydrostone on hand, but I have jars, rocks and dirt! I came up with this...

https://photos.app.g...561quXohU4UP5p8

https://photos.app.g...zkgMm4rneZBdo8A

Colorado has dense soil, which is naturally clay rich and nutrient poor. Local wild pogonomyrmex seem to love it - the crappier the area, the more likely they are to build nests. Open space parks are littered with their mounds. I feel pretty confident just using sterilized native soil for them. It should be really easy to get poppy seeds and quinoa from the grocery store, and I am actually growing sunflowers in the back yard this year, so I can share those with them too! 

I have easy access to unfired ceramic clay, so I'll probably make some kind of bisqueware (once fired) piece that can be hydrated, and sticks down into the soil some. Like a "water spike" works for gardening. They shouldn't be able to escape, but I'm going to punch a hole in each of the jar lids and plug the holes with cotton, just in case. I think that will help control humidity, as well

THA starting formicariums look really nice, but they're out of my price range for just starting this hobby this year.  :blink: I've probably spent about $100 so far, on tubing, test tubes, heating accessories, etc. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum if I can. If I stick with my colonies a few years, then I think it would be time to make big investments.  :D

#6 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 30 2018 - 9:15 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

If you do have Pogonomyrmex barbatus, she is not going to be semi-claustral. Pogonomyrmex barbatus is fully claustral.

Edit: Perhaps and ID request is in order.

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 30 2018 - 9:18 AM.

• Waganga likes this

#7 Offline Waganga - Posted June 30 2018 - 9:34 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

If you do have Pogonomyrmex barbatus, she is not going to be semi-claustral. Pogonomyrmex barbatus is fully claustral.

Oh, I forgot to address this! Yeah, I was guessing Barbatus based on what is available in my area for pictures on Antweb, as well as the data on Antwiki. But, the Antwiki description for Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis that Piratechef mentions also fits their size/looks, and the nests I've seen. It could easily be either. But, they have smallish gasters, and smallish thoraxes, so I think they're probably semi-claustral? For some reason, I can't load up the pages of specimen pictures on Antweb. 

One of them looks a couple of mm smaller than the others. It could be genetic variation, or it could be species variation. 

I'll definitely take some pictures and post an ID thread before I move them to these dirt jars.

#8 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 30 2018 - 9:41 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Oh, I forgot to address this! Yeah, I was guessing Barbatus based on what is available in my area for pictures on Antweb, as well as the data on Antwiki. But, the Antwiki description for Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis that Piratechef mentions also fits their size/looks, and the nests I've seen. It could easily be either. But, they have smallish gasters, and smallish thoraxes, so I think they're probably semi-claustral? For some reason, I can't load up the pages of specimen pictures on Antweb. 

One of them looks a couple of mm smaller than the others. It could be genetic variation, or it could be species variation. 

I'll definitely take some pictures and post an ID thread before I move them to these dirt jars.

I know that some species of Pogonomyrmex are semi-claustral, but if it is IDed as Pogonomyrmex barbatus maybe you could feed her a couple times just in case? I raised a queen on no food and she did great, but you're better safe than sorry.

#9 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 1 2018 - 10:22 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Most Pogonomyrmex queens can greatly benefit from a few seeds when they are first caught. After that, they will do best if not disturbed for a good month, as they are very sensitive to light and vibrations and will eat their eggs if stressed too much.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex barbatus, colorado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users