• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi from San Diego CA.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FanaticAnt - Posted June 28 2018 - 6:57 AM

FanaticAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey guys I'm new here, my names Jacob and I'm currently becoming obsessed with the keeping of ants. Also I'm fighting the urge to keep fire ants (solenopsis xyloni) as they are the only founding queens I have at the moment.

Any advice on what I can do to catch larger and less common species would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to getting to know some people around here.

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 28 2018 - 7:03 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

i would go to any local parks in your town or even tr going to some state parks to go hunting. once you start to know what to look for you'll see potential founding chambers every where.

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline FanaticAnt - Posted June 28 2018 - 8:35 AM

FanaticAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yeah the trouble is finding someone to go with me, thanks I went looking around my house this morning and found a Pogonomyrmex Californicus colony about 300 meters away. Definitely adding that to my list of desired species :).

#4 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 28 2018 - 8:41 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hey, I'm also in San Diego and looking for people to go anting with.  I live in the Mira Mesa area.  Unfortunately, most of San Diego is overrun with Argentine ants, so to find any of the local species, we would have to go farther East.  Hit me up if you want to plan some trips. :)

• FanaticAnt likes this

#5 Offline FanaticAnt - Posted June 28 2018 - 9:16 AM

FanaticAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I live in Poway so I'm a bit north east of you, are you experienced? Cause I'm like 90% clueless to this whole founding chamber hunting aspect of anting.

#6 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 28 2018 - 10:53 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I started getting into it around Feb this year, so not experienced haha.  But I've been following all the posts here so hopefully have learned a lot.   

#7 Offline Vick09usmc - Posted June 29 2018 - 12:28 PM

Vick09usmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

I have been doing this for a few years now. don't have much time to go searching but i try to make time every now and then. your best bet for finding queens will be out by ramona in the mountains- TONS of camponotus. pogonomyrmex are fairly common , rhor park is a good area, they have not had their main flights there yet. so its worth checking out as soon as it rains. anyhow, i would be up for an anting trip, i head out as far as hoshua tree- currently i have myrmecocystus navajo, mimicus, camponotus vicinus, solenopsis molesta amongst a few others. 

#8 Offline FanaticAnt - Posted June 29 2018 - 5:29 PM

FanaticAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

ya lets do it, I'm about 5-10 min out from ramona. I would also be game for joshua tree, I really would like any myrmecocystus and pogonomyrmex queens.

Edit: Ill message you both with my contact info.

Edited by FanaticAnt, June 29 2018 - 5:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users