• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request: Iowa - 6/14/18

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zxirl - Posted June 14 2018 - 8:17 AM

Zxirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

1. Location of collection: 

• Cement parking lot

2. Date of collection:

• 6/14/18 - 7pm

3. Habitat of collection:

• Country setting, limestone trail, near corn fields

4. Length:

• 7mm

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture:

• Antennae: red-brown
  • Mandibles: red-brown
  • Eyes: black
  • Head: brown; square shape
  • Thorax: red-brown
  • Gaster: red-brown; 3 bands (light tan)
  • Legs: red-brown

6. Distinguishing characteristics: 

• 1 Node
  • 1 Spine

7. Anything else distinctive:

• Ask in comments for specific details! Thanks

8. Nest description: 

• Unknown

9 . Pictures: 

• tliIDxU.jpg
  • pAE3ZmC.jpg
  • 7W8Tn3M.jpg

Spoiler

#2 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted June 14 2018 - 8:48 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Looks like a lasius parasite sp., not sure which exact species though.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 14 2018 - 9:00 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Probably Lasius interjectus or something like that.

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 14 2018 - 5:34 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Looks a lot like L. Interjectus, as Aaron pointed out. They're social parasites. They're also a species I'm hoping to catch this summer in MI.

What was the weather like on the 13th and 14th where you caught her? What's the prediction for tomorrow? I really want to catch one of these, and that info would help me to keep a lookout for ideal flight conditions. Thanks in advance.

Read up on this if you intend on keeping her.

http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Edited by Jamiesname, June 14 2018 - 5:39 PM.

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 14 2018 - 5:49 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Lasius interjectus! They found colonies specifically by locating and killing the queen. If you want a shot at keeping these you need an existing colony of host Lasius. They normally fly in June and I have been finding them too.

Edited by AntsAreUs, June 14 2018 - 5:50 PM.

• Zxirl likes this

#6 Offline Zxirl - Posted June 26 2018 - 2:52 PM

Zxirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Looks a lot like L. Interjectus, as Aaron pointed out. They're social parasites. They're also a species I'm hoping to catch this summer in MI.

What was the weather like on the 13th and 14th where you caught her? What's the prediction for tomorrow? I really want to catch one of these, and that info would help me to keep a lookout for ideal flight conditions. Thanks in advance.

Read up on this if you intend on keeping her.

http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Sorry! I didn't see this reply right away.

I ended up releasing her because I don't have any other Lasius colonies to try experimenting with at the moment.

As for your question:

Weather: It was about 75-80 degrees, no rain about a week prior/after. It was pretty dry when I found her. It was very sunny.

She was crawling around near some Tetramorium sp E nanintics.

I wasn't even out searching for queens when I found her. I had just finished running, sat down on the cement to stretch, and she walked right past my hand.  :D

Spoiler

#7 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 26 2018 - 3:42 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Read up on this if you intend on keeping her.http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/

Sorry! I didn't see this reply right away.

I ended up releasing her because I don't have any other Lasius colonies to try experimenting with at the moment.

As for your question:
Weather: It was about 75-80 degrees, no rain about a week prior/after. It was pretty dry when I found her. It was very sunny.

She was crawling around near some Tetramorium sp E nanintics.

I wasn't even out searching for queens when I found her. I had just finished running, sat down on the cement to stretch, and she walked right past my hand.  :D

Thanks for the info! I've been checking on a few local colonies and laying concrete pavers down as 'traps', but no luck yet. I haven't even seen any alates in the colonies I'm tracking, and a couple of them are very large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users