• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sluggish nanitic with broken limbs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Luvnecrosis - Posted June 24 2018 - 8:05 PM

Luvnecrosis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Good evening,

I checked on my ants a few minutes ago and noticed that one of the two nanitics in my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus test tube set up had been barely moving and looked like it was dead. Her antannae moved and when I moved the tube, she walked, but then it appeared that she was only using her back four legs and the front two were bent up. Now, when i first got a nanitic, there was one who was stuck in her cocoon for a while and I want to assume that this problem was from birth and not a statement of bad living conditions. This ant also seems to have a slightly larger gaster than her sister.

I am trying to get a decent picture but she is hiding under the queen and among the eggs.

This may be a problem with nutrition because they were unresponsive to the crickets that I bought, and only pay attention to syrup water. The queen is laying eggs, however and have a few that will become workers in a few days or maybe a week. Also plenty of eggs and larva, so I am not entirely sure if protein or whatever is the issue right now.

Again, pictures coming as soon as I can see her more clearly. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Luvnecrosis, June 25 2018 - 3:02 AM.

• SelfDeludedFool likes this

#2 Offline SelfDeludedFool - Posted June 26 2018 - 6:24 AM

SelfDeludedFool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm uncertain about ants but I know when many insects molt the position in which they "chill out" is important as they wait for their exoskeleton to harden. It's soft and hardens to the form that it's kept in. It's possible that if this one was stuck while eclosing that it's forlegs hardened in a position which made them inoperable.

That said, just a theory. The food is important now that you've had your first workers eclose though. Usually nanitics aren't interested in foraging for the first few days. If it goes longer than that then you should try some different food, or maybe dismember the crickets and offer just the big legs broken open. Flightless fruit flies are my go to for founding colonies, they're soft and small which makes them easily manageable for just a worker or two.

#3 Offline SelfDeludedFool - Posted June 26 2018 - 6:29 AM

SelfDeludedFool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, also, is there ample room in your setup? I was thinking that perhaps the worker didn't receive proper assistance from the queen because she couldn't get to it.

Edited by SelfDeludedFool, June 26 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 26 2018 - 2:36 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

You get crippled ants sometimes

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users