• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Matthew's Tetramorium Journal (Overkill?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline mking3907 - Posted June 23 2018 - 9:01 PM

mking3907

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

About a week ago I caught a very large amount of tetramorium queens.  I had a few die the first day but a lot lived and produced eggs.  I labeled the colonies A-W. (I say colonies bc some of them have multiple queens bc i ran out of test tubes)  Consider this a Day 7 Update because they were caught a week ago.

Colony A:

shed their wings within a day and have a sizable pile of eggs.

15lsimP.jpg

Colony B: Hasn't shed her wings, Tends to lay her eggs in a messier spread.  She is probably fertile, as she cares for her brood.

wKGmF28.jpg

Colony C: Small pile of eggs and she tore her wings off.

NBwNUNZ.jpg

Colony D: Decent pile of brood, decided to keep her wings.

dWLc4Vs.jpg

Colony E: Tore her wings off and likes to keep her eggs up near the cotton.

uVr5EFg.jpg

Colony F: Two Queens in this one, decent amount of eggs

bhD7A6z.jpg

Queen G: Nothing of note. A few eggs.

sO1wt6c.jpg

Colony H: Kinda experimental, 3 queens in this one, leading to a very big pile of eggs.

G4bEC3g.jpg

Colony i: Two queens in this one, a lot of eggs, and they have a tendency to dog pile.

D2RZpi9.jpg

Colony J: Shed her wings and laid eggs on the first day.

2cPhYk8.jpg

Colony K: Nothing special, just scattered egg placement, but she cares for all of them.

jkFzEjP.jpg

Colony L: Keeps her eggs farther from the cotton than any other queen.  

eROFZWL.jpg

Colony M: The queen has larvae, and she decided to keep her wings.

YO3IrsY.jpg

Colony N: Keeps her eggs in a taller pile than even the 3 queen colony does.

zAi8Wa3.jpg

Colony O:  Nothing special about her behavior patterns, very consistent with what the other queens do.

2CH9tSJ.jpg

Colony P:  Scatters her brood the most of any queen.  Only kept one wing.  Possibly infertile, but she does care for her eggs.

nIQHS0l.jpg

Colony Q: Keeps her eggs literally on the cotton, like stuck to it hanging off the cotton.

jxCFRMc.jpg

Colony R: Also decided to keep one wing.

RJDNYjz.jpg

Colony S: Doesn't have eggs, as far as I've seen.

JedpU9k.jpg

Colony T: Large brood pile, lots of larvae.

CW10vSe.jpg

Colony U: Also keeps her brood directly on the cotton, I'm not sure why.

kiPkL0N.jpg

Colony V: Has maybe one egg, probably infertile.

6jloyBo.jpg

Colony W: Caught a few hours earlier than all the other queens, has a very large brood pile with lots of larvae.

UtyA23U.jpg

I will be selling some of these queens on GAN when they get workers.  I will update on these colonies, probably in separate posts as opposed to on one giant post like this.  This took a long time, especially getting all the photos.  I am housing them inside of a shoebox with a heating pad and thermostat.  I keep them at 30 degrees, although it is usually 28-32 with the air circulation changing.  I keep them in two layers separated by a towel as pictured here (there is another row of test tubes under this, where I have my nylanderia, formica incerta, and Camponotus castaneus queens):

Jr94fQ2.jpg

Until Next Time! - Matthew

• FeedTheAnts and Mettcollsuss like this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 24 2018 - 12:58 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Seems a bit overkill to me unless you're selling all but 1 or 2. I am only keeping 1 queen even though I know I can catch PLENTY. She is doing amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users