• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Skocko76's Crematogaster scutellaris journal

journal creamatogaster scutellaris

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 23 2018 - 9:01 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The journal of a C. scutellaris colony. Queen caught in a local nuptial flight September 2017.

The queen went through her claustral phase in AntKit's acrylic founding chamber with an attached water container.

She is actually the only queen who successfully went through the claustral phase in it. I have two of AntKit's acrylic founding chambers, and had 4 failures and 1 success.

It is most likely due to a poor hidratation system, and the chamber being too large for the queen to feel secure (4x2cm).

The moisture sponge is not accessible to the queen, so she cannot drink from it, unless almost flooded and water delivered through capillary action between layers of acryl.

She spent most of her time tucked inside the "sawtooth connector" rather than inside the nest. All of the queens preferred the narrow tube-like space of the connector, two of them so much that they were constantly in contact with the wet cotton of the attached water tank. They molded and died. It is a pity the "coming soon" queen excluder accessory never saw the light of day.

I must also point out that she is doing worse than two other C. scutellaris queens that got test tube setups. By the time hey got 10 nanitics each, she had only gotten four.

IMG 20180604 133951

She now has eight workers and several larvae. I connected the AntKit nest to a formicarium with an outworld and additional nesting space.

I decorated the outworld with a pine branch that I found locally and baked in the oven. It is serving as a "dining table" as the outworld lid is pretty small and hard to reach the bottom :)

IMG 20180623 185615

Edited by skocko76, June 23 2018 - 9:06 AM.

• Barristan, rdurham02, FeedTheAnts and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted June 23 2018 - 9:13 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Hi,

thank you for your journal I think you'll have a lot of fun with this species.

I also kept this species two times. If they survived founding phase they will grow very quick.

#3 Offline skocko76 - Posted May 27 2019 - 10:35 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Oh did I!

They grew close to half a thousand workers, and had larvae to double that!

I had nowhere near the conditions to keep them, so I passed them to a fellow countryman and antkeeper.

Here's their new natural setup:

IMG 2cf74d9e14f80569df16e6ec0b593340 V
IMG 01a5ac98a3f979d05f783f15828becc0 V

• Barristan and ANTdrew like this

#4 Offline skocko76 - Posted May 28 2019 - 9:32 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Once a colony gets bigger, I noticed that a percentage of workers stays outside at all times. I had trouble convincing the ants to move into a test tube entirely.

In the end, I shipped them in two test tubes, but a bit more than 50 ants would not get inside.

I kept them for a future adoption experiment. Once I catch a nuptial flight, I will introduce them to a queen.

Even now, they hang out outside, form a body heap, reluctant to settle in a nest. I guess they are searching for their lost queen.

I fed them some protein jelly from antskeepingdepot and they started devouring it. My Lasius niger, on the other hand, are not so hot about it.

1L0A2012 large
IMG 20190528 185205
IMG 20190528 182439

#5 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 15 2019 - 10:24 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
A very peculiar thing happened. I had around 50 workers left, after I gave the colony away. I noticed 4-5 larvae were left behind as well. The ants took care of them, until a couple of days ago. Approximately one month after they lost their queen, they stopped caring for the larvae. In fact, they ate them. They were provided with other food, so starvation is not the cause. I guess queens produce a pheromone that compels the workers to tend to brood...

Edited by skocko76, June 15 2019 - 10:24 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, creamatogaster, scutellaris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users