• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Aphaenogaster carolinensis Journal (Updated 12/28/18)

aphaenogaster journal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 22 2018 - 6:44 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

On May 26, 2018, I found this Aphaenogaster queen in my pool. She is about 7 millimeters long and is dark brown with some red on her underside.

DRZbKnm.jpg

oeJiGH4.jpg

AzyKSCh.jpg

I still do not know what species she is quite yet. It will help when she gets workers. I have considered things like A. carolinensis, A. ashmeadi, A. treatae, and A. rudis. If anyone is certain on what species she is, I would love to know!

Her development the past 4 weeks. 

May 29, 2018

JmHHQCf.jpg

June 15, 2018

2WpQ6pj.jpg

3NDZdGK.jpg

pz0lxhb.jpg

June 22, 2018

Yb0rz3K.jpg

LvJ4Wwr.jpg

JsN4pFO.jpg

U9iempz.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, June 26 2019 - 3:56 PM.

• Kevin, rdurham02 and FeedTheAnts like this

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 1 2018 - 4:39 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 1, 2018

First two workers today. I wonder what I should feed them as their first meal. I heard Aphaenogaster are messy little creatures.

dn4ork1.jpg

yt0ORux.jpg

7nNWlpr.jpg

fGgST5G.jpg

She also just laid a few new eggs. 

#3 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted July 1 2018 - 6:49 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Yeah, Aphaenogaster can be pretty messy since they cover and sugary liquids with pieces of debris in my experience. Try a fruit fly and a small droplet of honey, works for me with all my ant colonies.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 1 2018 - 7:28 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

My Aphaenogaster are very messy in general. You can feed them seeds instead of sugary liquids by the way.

#5 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 28 2018 - 12:00 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

December 28, 2018

I haven't updated this journal in about 6 months because this colony has not progressed much beyond nanitics. They've been stuck at around 10 workers for a while and have lost and gained a few over time. They currently have 3 or 4 growing larvae with no pupae or eggs and I just gave them their first outworld. They are eating. The queen just needs to lay some more eggs so they can really start growing.

I also just moved them into their third test tube.

jLfWYtA.jpg

axdQc5g.jpg

l6HIups.jpg

vuziIwc.jpg

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 29 2018 - 4:01 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I've noticed that (at least in my experience) captive Aphaenogaster colonies don't really accept seeds. They are also highly carnivorous. Even the workers live largely off insects. Although Aphaenogaster is usually pretty slow to get going, if you want to give them a boost, try a heating cable and a really high protein diet.

They look a little too dark to be A. rudis. They look like they could be either A. carolinensis or A. fulva. If you get a side view of them, A. fulva is a little shorter, and has a very noticeable dent in its thorax, while A. carolinensis is longer and a slightly lighter color. They do look a little more like A. fulva to me, though.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, December 29 2018 - 4:01 AM.

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 29 2018 - 12:38 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Form my experience, aphaenogaster love Dubia roaches and superworms. They like honey as sweets, and would take fat wax worms too. Just make sure, you cut them into segments.

#8 Offline Rstheant - Posted December 31 2018 - 10:16 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I've noticed that (at least in my experience) captive Aphaenogaster colonies don't really accept seeds. They are also highly carnivorous. Even the workers live largely off insects. Although Aphaenogaster is usually pretty slow to get going, if you want to give them a boost, try a heating cable and a really high protein diet.

No, not always.. for some species yes, they are harder to yield, but for some, like my own, they have 25+ workers already. They also have 10+ pupa, 17+ larvae, and 50+ eggs..

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 8 2019 - 7:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Any updates? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users