• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Serving Sugar Water Methods

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 18 2018 - 1:28 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hello, I was just wondering if there was a better way to serve sugar water to ants other than the test tube setup. Currently I have found that the cotton hardens making it impossible for the ants to drink.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Ant Broski - Posted June 18 2018 - 1:36 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA
You could just put sugar water in a water bottle cap and give to the ants.

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 18 2018 - 2:12 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I put cotton on a piece of concave aluminum foil and use a pipette to squirt the sugar water into it.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 18 2018 - 2:16 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Liquid feeders specifically designed for ants?

You can even coat the taller glass vials and plastic bottles with Fluon to prevent aggressive ants like Solenopsis invicta from climbing the sides, allowing you to remove them for cleaning and refilling more easily.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 18 2018 - 2:18 PM.

• dspdrew likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 18 2018 - 5:39 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok thanks for the advice everyone :D,  AntsAreUs seems to have the most reasonable suggestion for me. The price of the liquid feeder is a bit steep for me right now (I may buy it in the future), and I am afraid my ants will drown in the water bottle cap. 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline super_oil - Posted June 19 2018 - 5:55 AM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

I usually put sugar water on wax paper to feed my ants and take it out when the sugar solidifies.

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#7 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted June 19 2018 - 1:31 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I think something you should think about is the placement of your cotton/test tubes. California is not an especially humid place, yet usually cotton doesn't dry out even when I dip it in honey or sugar water. You could try using q-tips too, as it absorbs much more liquid and are pretty easy to handle. Just cut off the tip once you dip it in sugar and place it in the test tube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users