• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#401 Offline Acutus - Posted July 22 2019 - 7:33 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I sent you some pics in a PM. No, I know what the problem is, I just haven't fixed it yet.

FIX it! FIX it! Fix it! Or send me the pics too! LOL  :lol:  :lol:​ 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#402 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 22 2019 - 7:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

You should consider Pheidole pilifera for your other queen.  I just don't think that she is long enough to be Ph. morrisii.  Here is a pic:

kvngrpjfzko21.jpg

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#403 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 22 2019 - 8:23 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

You should consider Pheidole pilifera for your other queen. I just don't think that she is long enough to be Ph. morrisii. Here is a pic:
kvngrpjfzko21.jpg

I have considered this species, although my queen is definitely long enough to be in the running for P. morrisii. She’s about 8mm which is what P. morrisii is. Also, the gaster shap and size doesn’t really match up the best. I’m not for sure though, so I’m not ruling this option out.

Spoiler

#404 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 22 2019 - 8:59 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I found a dead Ph. pilifera. I was so mad

#405 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 22 2019 - 9:38 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I found a dead Ph. pilifera. I was so mad

I would have been too!

Spoiler

#406 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 22 2019 - 6:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

You should make an ID post for your Pheidole queen.  Then you will get a definitive answer.  Also, are there any areas near you with pure sand, or extremely sandy soil?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#407 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 23 2019 - 4:56 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

You should make an ID post for your Pheidole queen. Then you will get a definitive answer. Also, are there any areas near you with pure sand, or extremely sandy soil?

That’s probably a good idea, I’ll make one today. As for sandy areas, I know one spot in particular that has over ten Ph. morrisii colonies. They’re even more common than Ph. bicarinata.

Spoiler

#408 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 23 2019 - 6:31 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, ID thread is up for the pheidole queens! Also, Temnothorax ambiguus just got their second pupae!

Spoiler

#409 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 26 2019 - 4:12 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Today I was looking around outside, watching some colonies of Pheidole morrisii when I noticed a very inconspicuous hole in the dirt. Upon closer examination, it appeared to have an ant blocking the entrance, and I immediately wondered if this was Colobopsis. Since. The thing at the entrance has retreated a few millimeters down and I am not able to get a good look at it. That would be cool if it was, because I’ve not yet discovered a wild colony of this genus.
  • Acutus likes this

Spoiler

#410 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 26 2019 - 5:24 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Today I was looking around outside, watching some colonies of Pheidole morrisii when I noticed a very inconspicuous hole in the dirt. Upon closer examination, it appeared to have an ant blocking the entrance, and I immediately wondered if this was Colobopsis. Since. The thing at the entrance has retreated a few millimeters down and I am not able to get a good look at it. That would be cool if it was, because I’ve not yet discovered a wild colony of this genus.

If it's in the dirt it wouldn't be colobopsis, colobopsis are strictly arboreal, with one species only nesting in white ash trees and the other is less picky with trees types.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#411 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 27 2019 - 2:42 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

If it's in the dirt it wouldn't be colobopsis, colobopsis are strictly arboreal, with one species only nesting in white ash trees and the other is less picky with trees types.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ya, I figured that.

Spoiler

#412 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 27 2019 - 5:51 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

It might have been  a Pheidole major, they do that sometimes.

#413 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 27 2019 - 5:10 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Turns out it was a wasp!

Update:

My Colobopsis impressa queen has passed away.

The Pheidole morrisii queen (1) with the most eggs has eaten them.

Spoiler

#414 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 29 2019 - 6:06 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
All Pheidole queens are doing great! The one P. morrisii queen that ate her eggs has a small pile again. The other three with eggs how large piles.

I also found a Lasius cf. speculventris queen.

Spoiler

#415 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 30 2019 - 6:55 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I have designed a little natural formicarium in a small round glass bowl. I’m currently moving my colony of strumigenys into it.

Spoiler

#416 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 31 2019 - 7:51 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
This is great :D! The colony of Strumigenys has decided to move under a small piece of bark right against the glass! I can see them clearly, although it took forever to find out where there colony was :lol:.

Spoiler

#417 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 1 2019 - 6:58 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Do they only eat springtails?

#418 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 1 2019 - 12:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Do they only eat springtails?

No, they will eat lots of other soft bodied small animals, but that is the food which is the easiest to provide for them.

#419 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 1 2019 - 2:44 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
So could they eat like grubs or something instead?

#420 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 6 2019 - 1:32 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Time for an update!

First off, I procarasrinated on my summer work (had to read three books and do a lot of study guides and essays), so as punishment goes, I got grounded :lol: anyways, I have my phone back now.

Temnothorax ambiguus (1) — No queens’ names — No colony name:
— This colony just got their first workers three days ago :yahoo:! I did however discover a queen had seemingly passed away this morning, although her body is still completely intact, which leads me to believe she was infertile to start with. I’m leaving her in their just in case she is still alive, and because I can’t reach her due to the fact that the other queens are sitting on top of her. I fed them all honey, and hey really liked it. As for pupae, they’ve got around 18 soon to eclose! I’ve got really high hopes for these gals!

Strumigenys pilinasis — No queen name — No colony name:
— As said, I moved them into a terrarium (a small one) and they moved right up against the glass, although I cannot see the queen or brood. I’m going to try and add some springtails soon.

All pheidole:
— All four pheidole queens with eggs are doing good. It might be a while before workers though at this rate.
  • Martialis, TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users