• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

CatsnAnts ant journal / journey

ants journal antlove camponotus subbarbatus hi antfarm antkeeping

383 replies to this topic

#381 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 15 2019 - 6:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s really easy to culture your own springtails. I have a good culture going in one of those salad greens boxes filled with potting soil and some rotting plant matter.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#382 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 15 2019 - 6:52 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

My Ph. bicarinata still have their four queens, and they have tons of small to large larvae and a new batch of eggs. :D

My god, I can’t wait to see what the first batch of workers is going to look like :lol:.
  • Ant_Dude2908 likes this
5 queen Temnothorax ambiguus (founding)
11 queen Temnothorax curvispinosus (founding)
1 queen Colobopsis mississippiensis (founding)
1 queen Colobopsis impressa (founding)
1 queen Lasius interjectus (with 30 host workers)
x3 1 queen Camponotus subbarbatus (founding)
1 queen Strumigebys pilinasis (colony of about 30 workers)
1 queen Ponera pennsylvanica (founding)
x2 1 queen Pheidole bicarinata (founding)
1 queen Temnothorax curvispinosus (~170 workers) ... also have 2 termite colonies.

#383 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 15 2019 - 6:54 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

It’s really easy to culture your own springtails. I have a good culture going in one of those salad greens boxes filled with potting soil and some rotting plant matter.

Ya, I should really try to attempt it again. I’ve done it before, but since it hasn’t rained in over a week and a half, the springtails are all gone from where I normally find them. The problem was that whenever I would find some, I immediately fed them to my ants and never had many left over to start a culture.
  • Ant_Dude2908 likes this
5 queen Temnothorax ambiguus (founding)
11 queen Temnothorax curvispinosus (founding)
1 queen Colobopsis mississippiensis (founding)
1 queen Colobopsis impressa (founding)
1 queen Lasius interjectus (with 30 host workers)
x3 1 queen Camponotus subbarbatus (founding)
1 queen Strumigebys pilinasis (colony of about 30 workers)
1 queen Ponera pennsylvanica (founding)
x2 1 queen Pheidole bicarinata (founding)
1 queen Temnothorax curvispinosus (~170 workers) ... also have 2 termite colonies.

#384 Online Ant_Dude2908 - Posted July 15 2019 - 7:56 AM

Ant_Dude2908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

My Ph. bicarinata still have their four queens, and they have tons of small to large larvae and a new batch of eggs. :D

My god, I can’t wait to see what the first batch of workers is going to look like :lol:.

I have them at 82 degrees, so it shouldn't be long! Most of the large larvae are already beginning to pupate!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, journal, antlove, camponotus, subbarbatus, hi, antfarm, antkeeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users