• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#361 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 11 2019 - 9:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Damn. I was going to warn you. I think you could’ve kept them in the house, but you were bringing in new queens and colonies daily. Sorry, but they probably think you’ll just keep on bringing in more and more colonies. Moderation is key in these matters; just wait till you’re married.

Haha I must be lucky then. Neither my family, nor any significant others I've had have ever been opposed to my hobby. Some of my friends who know about it even give me queens they stumble upon

Me too lol.

#362 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 11 2019 - 10:15 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Do pheidole actually fly at night?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#363 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 11 2019 - 11:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Do pheidole actually fly at night?

Yes, or evening/ very early morning.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#364 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 11 2019 - 11:47 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Damn. I was going to warn you. I think you could’ve kept them in the house, but you were bringing in new queens and colonies daily. Sorry, but they probably think you’ll just keep on bringing in more and more colonies. Moderation is key in these matters; just wait till you’re married.

Haha I must be lucky then. Neither my family, nor any significant others I've had have ever been opposed to my hobby. Some of my friends who know about it even give me queens they stumble upon
Wow, lucky. If I mention it to anybody other than my family (which I have) people never act the same around me, they think I’m crazy :lol:. Ohhh well.

Edit: oh, and I found all my pheidole between 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 11 2019 - 11:48 AM.

Spoiler

#365 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted July 11 2019 - 11:52 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
Will pheidole come to a blacklight?

#366 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 12 2019 - 5:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s great; give thanks for that. I’ve been able to pursue my hobbies in relative peace, but only by keeping my colonies to a handful. DW and I have actually fought way more about my native plant garden, ironically.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#367 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 12 2019 - 6:24 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Will pheidole come to a blacklight?

I have found all 6 of my pheidole queens on a 15 watt blacklight.

Spoiler

#368 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 12 2019 - 6:27 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Small update in saying that another pheidole queen has decided to tear off her wings and lay a single egg! That makes three so far :yahoo:! I realized though that the back end of her tube had a crack and all the water was gone (from when I dropped my ants). I moved her and her single egg to a new test tube, and hopefully she finds her egg and doesn’t get too stressed out. That would be really amazing if I got THREE pheidole colonies (I have one more, and hopefully she’ll join the other three), maybe I could even convince my parents to let me start selling ants...
  • TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

Spoiler

#369 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 12 2019 - 6:29 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Why wouldn't they?

#370 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 12 2019 - 6:18 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
How is your Mississippiensis doing? I recently got a queen and I want to know how to care for her.

#371 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 13 2019 - 5:12 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

How is your Mississippiensis doing? I recently got a queen and I want to know how to care for her.

Mine hasn’t laid any eggs yet (probably because I check up on my ants a little too much. I would direct your questions towards AntDude as he also has some queens of this species which have been a little more successful than mine.

As for the selling ants, I’ve never asked them before, and I’ve never done anything like it. Could someone please explain how it would work?

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 13 2019 - 7:36 AM.

Spoiler

#372 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 13 2019 - 6:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Man, I bet they’d be stoked if you started selling ants. You could just post a thing on here. I would also register as a GAN farmer.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#373 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 13 2019 - 8:02 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
That’d be great :D! If I would, how would I “deliver” them to the people wanting them? Would we have to meet up somewhere, or is it legal to use commercial delivery services (which I’m assuming it’s not)?

Spoiler

#374 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 13 2019 - 8:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In your case, I’d have them come to you.

#375 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 13 2019 - 2:50 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

In your case, I’d have them come to you.

I thought about that. It would probably be my only option, but it would work!

Also, on a side note, I ordered two drosophila melanagaster fruit fly cultures. I can finally readily feed my ants proteins (without having to hunt around and freeze outside insects)!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#376 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 14 2019 - 6:55 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I checked on my ants earlier this morning, and am happy to see a second egg in the third-to-lay-eggs Pheidole queen. The first pheidole queens egg pile is MONSTROUS, with at least 40 eggs. The second queen’s egg pile is at about 15.

EDIT: also, the winged Colobopsis obliqua queen now has five eggs, but they are scattered. I don’t think she’s fertile.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 14 2019 - 6:56 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Spoiler

#377 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 14 2019 - 7:30 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My queens' eggs were scattered too. Now they are in a huge pile.

#378 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 14 2019 - 8:02 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I checked on my ants earlier this morning, and am happy to see a second egg in the third-to-lay-eggs Pheidole queen. The first pheidole queens egg pile is MONSTROUS, with at least 40 eggs. The second queen’s egg pile is at about 15.

EDIT: also, the winged Colobopsis obliqua queen now has five eggs, but they are scattered. I don’t think she’s fertile.

I've heard Colobopsis take a while to lay, and scattered eggs doesn't in any way mean she isn't fertile. Plenty of my queens have had scattered eggs and been fertile.

#379 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 15 2019 - 5:32 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Just checked up on my queens this morning (pictures coming later of as many I can get):

My Colobopsis obliqua queen has now shed one wing and has grouped two of the eggs together! Maybe she is fertile after all!

My first (positively) P. bicarianata queen’s egg pile is STILL growing! As for the darker queens, I’m now starting to think they are P. morrisii again because they have some notably different features, like the thorax which is a bit bulkier, and they are pure black on top. The heads also look a little different too, but I don’t really know what it is about them. ANYWAYS, queen number two (now Pheidole cf, morrisii again) has an egg pile almost as big as queen number one.
— the last queen to lay eggs is the same as queen number two (Pheidole cf. morrisii). She ate her eggs I think.

Temnothorax ambiguus colony is now getting a lot of larvae, and some are growing pretty fast!

Also, all subbarbatus colonies are up to four workers.

My Strumigenys colony is still doing well despite the lack of food for a while. The colony has skyrocketed to about 60 workers now, and the brood pile has a lot of eggs and larvae! My fruit flys should be coming in soon, so I’ll see if they like those. If not, back to capturing springtails (the springtail culture I ordered arrived with them all dead).

Spoiler

#380 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 15 2019 - 6:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My Ph. bicarinata still have their four queens, and they have tons of small to large larvae and a new batch of eggs. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users