• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#241 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 3:04 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Dang, that Strumigenys pilinasis queen KO’ed that springtail that I gave her, and now she is feasting (I decided to take a picture before I add some more substrate):

Eeeeeek I’m so excited for this queen. But she needs a name, in fact, all of my queens need names! If you have ANY suggestions for ANY of the queens, tell me. Here’s the list:

x3 Camponotus subbarbatus
(For some amazing reason, one of my queens has begun to pull off the mold in her test tube and stick it in the dry area, it molded because I forgot to get rid of a fly)

x1 Lasius interjectus

x1 Strumigenys pilinasis

x1 ponera pennsylvanica

x1 Myrmecina americana

x1 Temnothorax curvispinosus

If you want, I also have termites to name (totally not weird) :lol:

x2 termite spp.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 19 2019 - 4:05 PM.

• Acutus likes this

Spoiler

#242 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 6:26 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, the substrate has been added to my S. pilinasis queen’s setup. She should feel a little more comfortable now and should hopefully lay eggs. I have just recently started a springtail culture and am trying to collect springtails theough a trap. How often does she need to eat, when will she lay eggs, how often should I check on her, and where will she make her nest in the substrate (as in meaning: can she dig?)?
  • Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

Spoiler

#243 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 9:52 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Just found another Myrmecina americana queen in a 1” by 1” piece of mulch. She has a large cluster of eggs, I think around 15-20.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#244 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 1:09 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Never really been one to dig up founding chambers, mainly because I couldn’t ever find them. Today, I was watching a large colony of pheidole morisii when I noticed a large fresh mound of dirt. The chunks were pretty large, so I figured it probably wasn’t even ant ant that dug it. Nonetheless, I grabbed my shovel, and scooped about 2 in. into the dirt. There she was, out popped a Camponotus castaneus queen. She had no brood, and hadn’t even finished digging yet, so I figured I’d take her since I’ve always wanted this species, especially to found it from a single queen! Bad thing though, I used up my last test tube! I can probably remove one of my termite colonies (and probably will):

EDIT: I take it back, I actually have 2 test tubes left.

DOUBLE EDIT: I’m in love with Pheidole morrisii. :D I think they’re my dream species. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a queen, since I have a lot of nests in my yard.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 20 2019 - 2:04 PM.

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this

Spoiler

#245 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 4:57 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
WHOO WHOO again! I collected 6 suspicious looking hickory nuts (ones that could have ants in them) and one has a Strumigenys pilinasis colony! :D Now I just need to figure out how to get them out...

Spoiler

#246 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 20 2019 - 5:35 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I find monomorium in the evening. Congrats on the ponera queen. Put dirt in the tube, put lots of springtails in, and rarely check on her. They are very sensitive, from what I have read.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#247 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 20 2019 - 5:52 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I find monomorium in the evening. Congrats on the ponera queen. Put dirt in the tube, put lots of springtails in, and rarely check on her. They are very sensitive, from what I have read.

Sounds good! I currently have her in sand wet sand, and she has settled down inside. I’ve yet to add the springtails, but when I found her, she had one larvae, so hopefully she doesn’t eat it. I actually found another one of these queens today, but I lost it. I picked it up in my hand (even though they sting, right?) and I guess after a minute of walking or so, it slipped out and ran away. I’m not too disappointed though, I only really need one :lol:.

Spoiler

#248 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 21 2019 - 7:07 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I would be very disappointed. With these small ponerines, you need as many chances as possible. Also, I would reccomend a small starter hole in the sand. For added comfort.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#249 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 21 2019 - 8:17 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I would be very disappointed. With these small ponerines, you need as many chances as possible. Also, I would reccomend a small starter hole in the sand. For added comfort.

I did actually dig her a little starter hole! She has thus blocked off my view and I can no longer see her.

Spoiler

#250 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 22 2019 - 5:24 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I’ve been doing a little more research, and I think the Strumigenys colony I found is actually S. rostrata. And I think the individual queen might be as well. I really can’t tell.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 22 2019 - 5:25 AM.

Spoiler

#251 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2019 - 1:21 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Here’s some pictures of my Strumigenys colony. They all just kinda chill on that hickory nut. I’m fine with that though:

I could sit and watch them all day :lol:

ALSO, my termite journal now has pictures as well of the nymphs, so you can go check that out! :D

ACKDJFKZKDNS SO MANY EDITS: I also forgot to mention that I ordered a springtail culture with at least 100+ springtails to feed some of my ants.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 23 2019 - 2:02 PM.

Spoiler

#252 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 23 2019 - 3:57 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
That is not a hickory nut...

#253 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:18 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
No it is, it’s just covered in sand and dirt. I had to take its outer shell off, as well as the other half. So only this half of the inner hickory nut remains. But yes, this is a hickory nut, just a fraction of one though.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 23 2019 - 4:20 PM.

Spoiler

#254 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 23 2019 - 4:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

No it is, it’s just covered in sand and dirt. I had to take its outer shell off, as well as the other half. So only this half of the inner hickory nut remains. But yes, this is a hickory nut, just a fraction of one though.

Ok, that makes sense. :lol:

#255 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 24 2019 - 6:14 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I really need to start organizing my journal better:

6/24/2019 — Camponotus castaneus — no name yet — no colony name yet

This queen is doing very well with 4 eggs already. I’m very excited for these as I don’t have any large Camponotus species, and also that these aren’t aboreal.

6/24/2019 — Camponotus subbarbatus (#1) — Sygn — no colony name yet

Queen number one will be my first queen caught, and also she is not the brood boosted queen. She has pupae now and should be getting workers in the next week.

6/24/2019 — Camponotus subbarbatus (#2) — Topa (after last year’s queen) — no colony name yet

This queen is in the same situation as queen one.

6/24/2019 — Camponotus subbarbatus (#3) — no name yet — no colony name yet

She was a little behind the other queens, so she was brood boosted a while ago with some Camponotus caryae brood. She should be getting workers any day now (but maybe not subbarbatus workers).

6/24/2019 — Lasius interjectus — no name yet — no colony name yet

She should be laying eggs any day now. Only 2 workers have passed, probably due to old age, but other than that, everyone is still getting along (all 33 workers). I found a few more of these queens, but decided not to pick them up as I don’t have enough test tubes... again.

6/24/2019 — Myrmecina americana (#1) — no name yet — no colony name yet

She is the first queen of this species I caught, and she has two or three larvae. She has drank some of the honey I gave her.

6/24/2019 — Myrmecina americana (#2) — no name yet — no colony name yet

She is he second queen of this species that I found, and she has eaten a termite that I fed her partially. She has a very nice cluster of eggs that I found with her of about 12 eggs. I have good hopes for her.

6/24/2019 — Ponera pennsylvanica — no name yet — no colony name yet

I’ve occosionally seen her foraging, so I think she’s doing alright.

6/24/2019 — Strumigenys sp. (#1) — no name yet — no colony name yet

This is going to be the lone queen. I haven’t seen her in a day, so I hope she’s still alive.

6/24/2019 — Strumigenys sp. (#2) — no name yet — no colony name yet

This is the colony that I found in a hickory nut. They are doing pretty well, although I don’t think I’ve seen the queen yet.

AGAIN, I need name suggestions! (The names I’ve decided are going to be for the colony as a whole, not for the queen.)

DIUBLE EDIT: JUST KIDDING, I want names for the queens as well.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 24 2019 - 6:35 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and PacificNorthWestern like this

Spoiler

#256 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 24 2019 - 6:16 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
How about subbarbatus queen #1 gets named Sygn?

#257 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 24 2019 - 6:18 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

How about subbarbatus queen #1 gets named Sygn?

Sounds good to me!

Spoiler

#258 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 24 2019 - 6:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Are you the member that named his subbarbatus queen Topa? (I'm too lazy to look through the journal :lol: )

#259 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 24 2019 - 6:22 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
You bet :lol:!

Spoiler

#260 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 24 2019 - 6:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Oh then I guess that name is taken...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users