• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pseudomyrmex Gracilis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ItsMySalsa - Posted January 13 2017 - 1:27 PM

ItsMySalsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Hello all! I am in California and trying to buy (or find) a Pseudomyrmex Gracilis queen or similar Pseudomyrmex species, but am having trouble doing so. Please contact me if you have any information on how or where I could find a queen, thank you.

Best regards, 

ItsMySalsa.

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 13 2017 - 3:12 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Well Ps. gracilis aint gonna happen legally, but with some searching you ought to be able to find one of the two native species.

• ItsMySalsa likes this

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 13 2017 - 6:18 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, Pseudomyrmex gracilis is a non-native species, like Gcsnelling implied. I don't think they are even in California either, but have been introduced to other places if I recall. When I did research into Pseudomyrmex, that species came up.

However, I've looked for years whenever I go storm chasing with my parents and...I have not seen one, not a single hint of one, Pseudomyrmex worker. None for sell either as far as I know. And I've only seen Pseudomyrmex for sell once and it was in a different state. I look all over native plants they might be on, but nope. You may have better luck trying to get any another species.

I take the lack of them for sell, probably means they are extremely rare. I'd buy one myself in a heart beat, but no one ever has any. And if they do, they probably don't want to sell them. They look amazing though, probably my #1 favorite looking genus in California.  Easier to buy Acromyrmex versicolor of all species, though they are only at certain times of the year.

Good luck finding any (native) Pseudomyrmex for sell. I personally gave up, despite them being far the coolest looking species (at least in my opinion). And I gave up looking for them ages ago in the wild, since I never find any at all lol. They must be the rarest genus in California, or I personally have super bad luck with finding them. Heck, I've seen multiple Neivamyrmex raids down in San Diego and those are really rare to witness. Yet, not one single Pseudomyrmex. :(

If you do find a seller, you are lucky! Pseudomyrmex are amazing, and supposedly really easy to keep too.

Edited by Vendayn, January 13 2017 - 6:20 PM.

• T.C. and ItsMySalsa like this

#4 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted September 14 2020 - 9:37 AM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Gracilis is indoor introduced in California so there is a very slim chance of them there....

In norcal, there are a few good spots to find Pseudomyrmex apache which its a similar species that gets largish as they seem to prefer oak and manzanita. I wonder if anyone has found pallidus in California

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users