• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi from Illinois

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 14 2018 - 12:35 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I suppose a good place to start is all of the colonies I have, and all of the colonies I want. I currently have 2 wild caught colonies and 2 founding queens. This is my first year of antkeeping but I have done TONS of research on ants so I have a pretty good understanding of the hobby

Wild caught colonies:

Aphaenogaster Tennessensis - Queen, 600+ Workers

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus - Queen, 10 workers, tons of brood, especially pupae

Founding queens:

Prenolepis Imparis - Solo queen, pupae

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus - 10-12 Eggs (I'd like to sell this queen since I already have a colony)

Species I'd like to keep:

IL native Pheidole

Lasius Flavus

• VoidElecent, FeedTheAnts, Mettcollsuss and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 14 2018 - 1:53 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Welcome to formiculture.

Yay, more Illinois antkeepers!  :D

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 14 2018 - 2:09 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Oh, hey. Didn't we talk on Youtube? Anyway as for native Pheidole, most Pheidole like to nest in sandy areas. I have several Pheidole pilifera colonies around my neighborhood.

• Mettcollsuss and CheetoLord02 like this

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted June 15 2018 - 2:17 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Oh, hey. Didn't we talk on Youtube? Anyway as for native Pheidole, most Pheidole like to nest in sandy areas. I have several Pheidole pilifera colonies around my neighborhood.

did we talk on youtube? if so, cool! I don't doubt it, I just don't really remember. Also, thanks for the info on pheidole, but as it stands It's more of just a hope that I find a queen, as I live in the northern part of IL, whereas pheidole live mostly in southern IL. Probably going to try to buy a queen if I can.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted June 15 2018 - 4:34 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcome
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users