• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Northwest Arkansas 6/28/18

Best Answer AnthonyP163 , June 28 2018 - 1:45 AM

That looks like a Formica species in the Formica pallidefulva species complex to me.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fireking883 - Posted June 27 2018 - 10:24 PM

fireking883

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I was out hiking and searching for recently-mated queens in the woods near my parents house and turned over a rock in the forest and found this ant along with a couple pupae and workers. I managed to get her and most (if not all) of the workers and eggs/pupae into a plastic container where they quickly stored their eggs under some sticks that I put in there temporarily. 

Now my question(s): is she a queen? I've only caught a couple new queens after their nuptial flights so I'm still not great at identifying them, but this one looked like a queen to me. She is much larger than the worker ants of her species but is never in the open and quickly runs and hides if she is exposed. She also has a small black line of tissue on either side of her body that could possibly be wing scars, but I'm not sure due to my inexperience. Her wing muscles also seem quite large compared to the rest of her species.

And my other question: If you can tell, what species is she? I caught her in Northwest Arkansas in my parent's forest near a pond. She was under a rock near the pond, as I mentioned earlier. The soil around her colony was predominately red clay. I attempted to do some research and she seems to resemble some type of Lasius ant, but I really don't know. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I should mention: The soil around her is not wet, it just seems that the flash from my phone camera has made it seem that way. It is completely dry in her container as of now. Oh, and sorry for the bad quality and sideways picture. I didn't bring any type of camera with me, so I only have my phone. I have a couple other pictures, but this one seems the best. If you need anymore pictures I can attempt to find her, but she is long buried up inside their makeshift nest as of now

SdD0BPY.jpg

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 28 2018 - 12:22 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Camponotus castaneus queen
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 28 2018 - 1:45 AM   Best Answer

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

That looks like a Formica species in the Formica pallidefulva species complex to me.

• fireking883 likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 28 2018 - 2:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

That species of Formica is indeed flying right now in this neck of the woods.

#5 Offline fireking883 - Posted June 28 2018 - 7:17 AM

fireking883

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I just looked into the Formica pallidefulvaand that definitely does seem to resemble my ant. Although the behavior and coloration looks the same as the Camponotus castaneus, I think my ant is too little, but I could wrong.

Oh yeah, I realized after I woke up this morning that I forgot to give any kind of size reference. The workers are about exactly as long as a pencil eraser (which the internet says is 1/4th an inch, or 6 mm) and the Queen maybe an eraser and half or two.

Also, I went back to the pond/clay area and carefully looked under more rocks there and just about every rock that is in the shade has a colony of these ants under it. From what I can tell, they don't seem polymorphic.

#6 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 28 2018 - 7:34 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

The workers are about exactly as long as a pencil eraser (which the internet says is 1/4th an inch, or 6 mm) and the Queen maybe an eraser and half or two.

Screw metric or imperial systems, I will from this day forward only use pencil erasers as a unit of measurement.

Edited by rbarreto, June 28 2018 - 7:35 AM.

• Mortamir and fireking883 like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#7 Offline fireking883 - Posted June 28 2018 - 8:28 AM

fireking883

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The workers are about exactly as long as a pencil eraser (which the internet says is 1/4th an inch, or 6 mm) and the Queen maybe an eraser and half or two.

Screw metric or imperial systems, I will from this day forward only use pencil erasers as a unit of measurement.

Ah yes, finally a measurement we can all agree upon.

#8 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted June 29 2018 - 9:04 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Yeah I say formica pallidefulva. Good catch!
  • fireking883 likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#9 Offline fireking883 - Posted June 29 2018 - 5:35 PM

fireking883

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yeah I say formica pallidefulva. Good catch!

Thanks! I noticed this morning that there were some new eggs in their little container so I set it into a terrarium I had set up for whatever queen I eventually caught. It took a while, but they eventually all left their old home to live under a rock in their new area. Thanks for the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users