• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Starting a Review/Journal for Fruit Flies Product

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 25 2015 - 12:01 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

The product is here: http://www.amazon.co...asin=B002Y0S6J6

It is rated 5 starts so I expect to be having for a very long time until I don't want it anymore, one of the reviews was actually saying that the person bought it for his ants!

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 25 2015 - 1:13 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I just use potato flakes for substrate and paper desert plates for them to crawl on.  I put them in 32 ounce deli containers.  Much cheaper that way. 

If I were to buy that, I would be spending $32 to ship enough for 6-7 cultures. 

DSC07223_zps3ba5e4f1.jpg

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 25 2015 - 6:20 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I just use potato flakes for substrate and paper desert plates for them to crawl on.  I put them in 32 ounce deli containers.  Much cheaper that way. 

I'm just restarting since the store bought flies are crap and are hard to get out of their own culture without killing most of them so I have to restart if I want a really good easy to breed ant food.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 27 2015 - 5:02 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Wow that was fast, they came in 2 days. They came with 2 containers that are resusable, I wasn't too happy with the fact that there was only 2 balls of excelsor (bad spelling?) so I will definitely have to by more materials. They came with a container with ~50 flies and I fed some to my L. claviger colony which they were really excited for!

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted February 6 2015 - 5:10 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I'm very satisfied with the outcome! :)

Edited by Gaige Daughtrey, February 6 2015 - 5:10 PM.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 12 2015 - 2:19 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

DSC07223_zps3ba5e4f1.jpg

I've been using your method to keep my culture going. The first batch worked great. The second batch began to get moldy so I tossed it and made another with more vinegar. Now the plates are beginning to mold. Have you had issues with mold? Is there a fruitfly-safe mold deterrent I can add?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline kellakk - Posted February 12 2015 - 2:42 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Mold spores can survive cleaning. Are you using the same deli cup each time?  That may be your problem.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#8 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 12 2015 - 2:56 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
May I recommend you try this fruitfly media? It is really good and contains mold inhibitors. Lol, if I got a dollar for every time I recommended this site I'd at least have enough for a free bag.
http://www.joshsfrog...supplies-3.html

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 12 2015 - 2:59 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Mold spores can survive cleaning. Are you using the same deli cup each time?  That may be your problem.

Nope. I tried transferring the flies to the new cup as gently as possible, but I'm sure some mold spores still transferred (plus the fact it's already probably everywhere). Will an even higher vinegar ratio harm the flies?

May I recommend you try this fruitfly media? It is really good and contains mold inhibitors. Lol, if I got a dollar for every time I recommended this site I'd at least have enough for a free bag.
http://www.joshsfrog...supplies-3.html

I'll give that a try as I've heard positive things about joshsfrogs.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users