• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis imparis Brood Not Developing. Please Help!

prenolepis prenolepis imparis winter ants false honeypot ants queen queens polygynous founding founding stage alates eggs brood help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 8 2018 - 6:26 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So, I have 5 founding Prenolepis imparis. Four of the setups only have one queen. The fifth has 4 queens, one of which is an unmated alate. All the one queen setups have pupae now, some are even darkening already. However, the polygynous colony is having trouble. They easily have the most brood, around a hundred or so eggs. However, they have not developed over the past month or two. Not once has a single larvae appeared in their setup, and the eggs The queens are all acting healthy. They are being kept in the same conditions as the others.

Reasons I can think of and possible solutions:

1. The alate. The presence of the alate might be hindering the development of the brood in some way (not sure how though). Solution: remove the alate from the setup.
  2. Polygyny. I know this one seems silly since these are highly polygynous ants. I'm just trying to see what the differences between this setup and the other setup are. Maybe, possibly, the presence of multiple queens is stopping development (again, not sure how). Solution: separate all queens, give each a portion of the brood. Once workers arrive, fuse colonies back together.

Please let me know which one you think it is or if you have a different reason. Any help would be much appreciated!

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 8 2018 - 7:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
What temperature are they kept at?

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 8 2018 - 7:31 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

75 to 80° Fahrenheit. My ant room is one of the warmest rooms in my house.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 8 2018 - 7:35 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
That was quick! Aren't these supposed to be kept at cooler temps?

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 8 2018 - 7:37 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yes, but I don't have a way to cool them down. The best I can do is to just not heat them extra. Plus, the other colonies are doing fine in these temps, I'm just trying to find out what the problem is for that one setup.

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 8 2018 - 7:40 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Hmm... Interesting. How cold is your refrigerator? You could probably put the polygynous colony in there, see if that helps. But take my advise lightly, I don't have much experience with Prenolepis.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 9 2018 - 7:15 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Mine took a good 2.5 months for larvae to appear. Give them a month of alone time and see how it goes,
  • noebl1, Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 9 2018 - 7:39 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Mine took a very long time to get a worker. For the first two months it didn't look like the brood was developing at all. I just didn't check on them and after a while they had a pupae all of a sudden. Once the worker eclosed it appears that the queens started to lay a lot more eggs and that their brood is developing faster.

• noebl1 and Mettcollsuss like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 9 2018 - 8:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

75 to 80° Fahrenheit. My ant room is one of the warmest rooms in my house.

Well there you go.  They are boiling.  The temperature requirements are not suggestions, they are mandatory.

• Barristan, Ant Broski, Mettcollsuss and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 9 2018 - 10:49 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Same experience here as well.  In my office where I keep my ants, the temperature is usually upper 70Fs to low 80Fs during the summer.  Took a couple of months before I had my first P. imparis workers last year.  They took almost as long as my Crematogaster sp.

#11 Offline Major - Posted June 11 2018 - 5:15 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Yeah, put them in a cooler room. Also remove the unmated alate as it may just be laying trophy eggs. The other queens will probably waste their energy in moving and caring for these trophy/male eggs. Release her outside away from other colonies.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prenolepis, prenolepis imparis, winter ants, false honeypot ants, queen, queens, polygynous, founding, founding stage, alates, eggs, brood, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users