• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Worker ID - Northglenn, CO, 6/2/18

camponotus colorado

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Waganga - Posted June 5 2018 - 7:52 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Hi all,

I've been seeing these workers crawling up and down my maple trees in the front yard. At most, I'm able to find 0-3 of them in the whole front yard at any given time, so if they live nearby, their colony isn't very large. I'm trying to ID these workers, because I think they are related to these two queens I found last week. It seems like those two look like C. Hyatti, as does one I found about a month ago, so I'm curious to know if they all came from the same local nest. C. Hyatti isn't supposed to live in Colorado, but...?

Location: Maple tree trunk, urban front yard, Northglenn, CO, USA

Date: 6/2/18, afternoon

Habitat: Maple tree, front yard

Length: 6 to 7 mm

Coloration: Dark brown head, dark brown gaster, dark orange body and legs. 

Characteristics: 9 antennae segments, one petiole node, fuzzy gaster, otherwise smooth body.

Behavior: They hide when I attempt to collect them, by finding a crack in the bark and wedging themselves in there real good. They're very cautious.

Nest: I'm really not sure here, since I haven't seen a nest, but I'm guessing they might live up in the trees themselves? The two queens I caught were found up high on the face of the house, and like those queens, this worker wanted to climb UP when I distressed it. 

Click here for all the pictures

Best possible pictures:

Thanks for looking!
Kayla

Edited by Waganga, June 5 2018 - 7:53 AM.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 6 2018 - 10:29 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Some sort of Camponotus from the myrmentoma subgenus. Maybe C. nearcticus?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline Waganga - Posted June 7 2018 - 10:13 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Suggestions on the queens I caught were: C. discolor, C. hyatti, C. nearcticus, C. novaeboracensis, and C. decipiens. That basically covers Camponotus with this coloration, lol. I was hoping maybe IDing this worker could increase my confidence with IDing my queens, since I am still not totally sure of their ID.

Where is the best guide for understanding the differences/nuance between these various similar species?

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted June 7 2018 - 10:21 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Definitely not C. novaeboracens that’s a much larger species and not a Myrmentoma species. C. hyatti queens seem to clearly have a different shaped petiole then C. nearcticus. I haven’t noticed any easy indicators for the other two. I’m sure there is a key somewhere but I don’t know of any.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, colorado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users