• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question When to Start Anting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 21 2015 - 4:59 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I really want to catch some Prenolepis imparis queens so when should I get started, right now there is still a lot of snow on the ground but it should go away any time now... I was thinking I should start looking when the snow melts but I don't know them very well.

#2 Offline jimbodw07 - Posted January 22 2015 - 10:12 AM

jimbodw07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHigh Desert, CA

I'm not sure if you have checked the mating chart that Drew posted awhile back. If you haven't, you should check it out. It'll give a rough estimate of when certain species of ants will mate.

http://www.formicult...t-mating-chart/

Hope this helps.

There are two kinds of sufferers in this world:
Those who suffer from a lack of life...and those who suffer 
from an overabundance of life.
-Waking Life

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 22 2015 - 4:25 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

To be safe I would start looking during unusually warm days. Just warm enough to melt the snow. If you know where some colonies are you can check their activity to see if the workers are around and foraging. That should be indication that they are going to fly soon.

#4 Offline AntsTexas - Posted March 4 2015 - 1:28 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

keep an eye on an ant bed or nest check on it every day or every other day around the same time , if they r having their flight chances r that others r taking flight too, here in texas i noticed the temp is around 75 to 85 little or no wind

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 4 2015 - 2:06 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
The temperature is supposed to be in the fifties, which is really warm! I hope they fly soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users