• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus sp? Queens - Northglenn, CO, 5/30/18

camponotus colorado

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Waganga - Posted June 2 2018 - 9:08 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Caught two queen ants on the front of my house earlier this week. One is in good shape and pretty calm, and the other is missing her right antenna and half of her left frontmost leg. My husband named them Dos Antos and Lefty, respectively. Both of them look like they are the same species.

Location: Front of house around window and door frame, front yard, Northglenn, Colorado, USA

Date: 5/30/18 and 5/31/18

Time: 5:30ish pm, and 11ish pm respectively

Habitat: Urban yard, near lots of mature trees

Length: Apx 12mm

Coloration: Dark brown head, dark brown gaster, dark orange thorax and legs; Shiny with lots of hairs on the gaster. 

Distinguishing Characteristics: One petiole node; 10 antennae segments

Behavior: Very jumpy/skittish if test tubes are handled, they don't seem to have settled down just because they're in an enclosed space. 

All the pictures

Best pictures:

I'm guessing these guys are Camponotus sp of some kind, possibly C. novaeboracensis or C. vicinus. Opinions?

Also, how likely is Lefty to make it? She was being actively hunted by a garden spider when I noticed her, but she still seems to be alert and active today.

#2 Offline Phoenix - Posted June 2 2018 - 9:48 PM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

C. novaeboracensis I would say.

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted June 2 2018 - 9:54 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Too small for C. novaeboracensis. This looks like a Myrmentoma species.

EDIT: Probably C. decipiens, but it looks a lot like a picture perfect match for C. hyatti (I think it's this one). The latter hasn't been recorded in Colorado, but is abundant in the surrounding states. Also unfortunately queens with missing antennae tend to struggle way more then queens missing other limbs when it comes to rearing their brood.

Edited by LC3, June 2 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#4 Offline piratechef - Posted June 4 2018 - 11:22 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

Looks like the nearticus queen i caught few weeks ago, sadly she died shortly after I got her in test tube. I will try my spots tomorrow. Nice job on the Camponotus queens. Also i like the names you have given them lol.

#5 Offline Waganga - Posted June 5 2018 - 7:58 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Thanks everyone for responding!

Shortly after catching these ladies, I noticed some similar looking Camponotus workers in the front yard, so I caught one of those. Perhaps this will help?

I'm really interested in getting the species exact, because these ladies and this worker look pretty similar to a queen I found about a month ago, but thought might be from out of state. 

C. decipiens was my guess as well, though, based on what is known to be in Colorado.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, colorado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users