• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

matt's camponotus sp journal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mathiacus - Posted January 21 2015 - 2:51 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I dug up this queen along with her founding chamber while i was raiding a M.tarsata nest a few months back.

I put her and her dirt in a tube and chucked them to my son. I pretty much forgot about her. . He didn't! Yesterday he comes rushing out of his room all excited. She has nanitics. Time to build a nice little formicarium for my son to keep her in. Pics will come when i can upload them.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 21 2015 - 2:57 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I can bet he was excited!    :D

Who was more surprised?  Him because he had his own baby ants, or you because he managed to pull it off?

• Mathiacus likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Mathiacus - Posted January 21 2015 - 3:05 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I am honestly surprised that he left them alone well enough and long enough for it to happen.. all while still observing her progress. Now i feel bad for my daughter.. i gave her a dud queen because i didn't think she would look after it.. she has been fantastic though! I may have to do a sneaky and switch it for a fertile one with brood.

#4 Offline LAnt - Posted January 21 2015 - 4:55 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Youre a cool dad

#5 Offline Mathiacus - Posted January 21 2015 - 5:20 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
I like to think so. Thanks 😃

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted January 21 2015 - 8:28 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have found that if one or both parents are into something, the kids join right in because they can do something together.  You may have to do the sneaky and switch queens, so you don't break her little heart.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users