• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termites? St. Louis, MO 6/1/18

Best Answer Skwiggledork , June 1 2018 - 5:27 PM

Looks like the termites I caught a few days ago. Had mine ID'd on a facebook group as eastern subterranean termites. I could be way off though.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted June 1 2018 - 5:22 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

There were swarms of these outside my work today. The ground was literally coated with shed wings. They look like termites to me, but I wanted to make sure and find out the type and species if possible. I grabbed a dozen or so to use as ant treats. Sadly they had no tolerance for heat and died as I soon as I got in my car to drive home. They're all a dark brown to blackish color and about 5-7 mm long.

termites

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted June 1 2018 - 5:27 PM   Best Answer

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Looks like the termites I caught a few days ago. Had mine ID'd on a facebook group as eastern subterranean termites. I could be way off though.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted June 1 2018 - 5:45 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

The genus Reticulitermes (what these are) is really messy. There's something like 6 valid species across the US for what may be 26 species. Anyways is the 7mm including that of the wings?

#4 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted June 1 2018 - 5:59 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

So what kind of set up would be best to keep them in? lol

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted June 1 2018 - 6:16 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Any container with substrate and access to cellulose (cardboard, softwoods or hardwoods with no toxins) kept between 68F - 77F and a humidity of around 80-90% should suffice. I've never experimented with rearing subterranean termites from imagoes but those should be their requirements. A test tube would probably work (just limit the water behind the cotton and seal tightly). A petri dish with a moist piece of cardboard fitted into it might also work.

#6 Offline BMM - Posted June 1 2018 - 7:44 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Thanks for the feedback. Eastern subterranean termites looks like the right answer. I have no plans to keep any, but one of my ant colonies got a nice treat out of it.

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted June 1 2018 - 7:52 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

If the length from the head to the tip of the wings is around 7/8mm they are more likely Reticulitermes virginicus.

#8 Offline BMM - Posted June 1 2018 - 8:07 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

No, the length of the bodies was about 6 mm. With wings maybe around 10 mm.

#9 Offline LC3 - Posted June 1 2018 - 8:12 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
I see, definitely R. flavipes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users