• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anhzor's Pogonomyrmex californicus

Pogonomyrmex californicus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Anhzor - Posted September 21 2013 - 1:56 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Originally I caught 17 queen late june, I then left to Idaho at the end of july and came back with only 10 left alive.  Which isn't too bad considering about 30 percent of all Pogonomyrmex I kept die for no apparent reason.  Since I have so many I am just going to focus on the two most unique colonies, the one I found in the Mojave desert and the one that has multiple queen.  They were caught on 6-11-2013, except for the mojave pogonomyrmex, she as caught a week earlier.

Mojave Pogonomyrmex
This pogonomyrmex I caught from the Mojave desert in June, unlike the Pogonomyrmex found here in Anaheim she has a black gaster.  She ate her first batch of eggs so I boosted her with broods I stole from the Pogonomyrmex outside my house.  Oddly enough she never had any nanitics, probably cause she ate her first batch of eggs?
original image: http://farm8.staticf...c894257ac_o.jpg
9542791123_f169805072_b.jpg

Its hard to tell, but the workers with red gaster are the one that were previously broods used for boosting.

Polygamous Pogonomyrmex
I ran out of space to put the extra queens I found in late june so I decided to put 3 of the in a test tube, I then boosted them with the broods I found outside.  From my previous experience Pogonomyrmex queens raise this way will eventually kill each other off, however none of the 3 queen has yet to show any aggression.

original photo: http://farm6.staticf...698c9825a_o.jpg

9545584794_e8d6fc7996_b.jpg

The big gaster in the middle belong to one of the queen, its hard to tell workers and queen from this species.  I'll try to get a picture of 3 of them together when its possible.

9545586098_7357b9d2ef_b.jpg

#2 Offline Anhzor - Posted September 21 2013 - 1:58 AM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Mojave Pogonomyrmex:  Good amount of broods now. They have been place in a tank with a heating bulb that keeps it at 85-90 degrees.  Lately its only keeping it at 85's due to the heat waves cooling the past few days.  In my opinion keeping Pogonomyrmex at high temperature really helps brood development.

9851248126_5be51ce35d.jpg

Edited by Anhzor, September 28 2013 - 7:41 PM.

#3 Offline AntCzar - Posted September 21 2013 - 9:24 AM

AntCzar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Really interesting that none of the queens have been slaughtered yet! I wonder how long this will last. hehehe ;)

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 21 2013 - 11:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Really interesting that none of the queens have been slaughtered yet! I wonder how long this will last. hehehe ;)

I think he needs to update that part. :lol:

#5 Offline Anhzor - Posted September 22 2013 - 10:52 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Polygamous Pogonomyrmex (now red gaster)

Two of the queen was drag out and slowly exicuted, I manage to pick them out and gave them a pupae and a larvae so that they're not gone to waste.  I move the colony which now has one queen to a different but smaller test tube (since water was running low) as well as a bigger foraging space.  SInce this colony is no longer polygamous I will call them red gaster due to their red gaster coloration.

9869140676_4d378d31d5.jpg

Edited by Anhzor, September 23 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted September 25 2013 - 11:18 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Were the workers trying to kill them, or did the other queen start it?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Anhzor - Posted September 27 2013 - 6:28 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Crystal: I'm not sure i think the workers instinctively know who is the dominant queen so they themselves did the killing.

here is a video of them being drag out

one of the queen that was dragged out has die.

the other queen ate its pupae and is not doing well, she too will probably die.

The dominant queen is doing fine but 8 of the workers has pass away, i suspect it was food poisoning.

Edited by Anhzor, September 27 2013 - 6:28 PM.

#8 Offline Anhzor - Posted September 28 2013 - 7:42 PM

Anhzor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Mojave Pogonomyrmex:

for unknown reasion this colony has a female alate pupae... let see if she will ever enclose.  Must be something i fed to them that's making them produce alates after 3 months...

9992174735_5883cdfe49_b.jpg

Edited by Anhzor, September 29 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pogonomyrmex californicus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users