• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parasites Emerging From Queen Ant Gaster

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:05 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

POPULAR

About 24 hours after this queen died it's gaster split and I found what I believed to be a type of parasite coming out. I have never seen anything like it. I open it up a little after 3:15. It's really nasty... but for science!

Edited by T.C., May 30 2018 - 8:08 AM.

• nurbs, dermy, drtrmiller and 7 others like this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:09 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Thanks for the nightmare fuel, TC.

Great video though. Incredibly interesting. .. gross.. but very interesting. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline Studio - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:20 AM

Studio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Ouch, that's really gross lol. I've had a few queens that had one big maggot erupt from their gasters, but it's really rare. NOthing like this though  :bad:

#4 Offline Waganga - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:27 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

GROSS but still less gross than those zombie worms that force insects into water. 

Keep the larvae and see what they turn into?  :D For science?

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:29 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

GROSS but still less gross than those zombie worms that force insects into water. 

I am trying to keep them all in a vial with the queen, hoping to see what they turn into. I am Hoping Gordon will know what they are, but I believe parasites are under studied.

• Ant Broski likes this

#6 Offline Mortamir - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:29 AM

Mortamir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRavensdale, WA
I had two Camponotus queens that I found parasitic larva in this year so far.

2 of 55.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:30 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I had two Camponotus queens that I found parasitic larva in this year so far.

2 of 55.

Do you have any images or video of them?

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 30 2018 - 8:33 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yeah... I was expecting the zombie worm.. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#9 Offline Mortamir - Posted May 30 2018 - 9:12 AM

Mortamir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRavensdale, WA
I have some bad pics.

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted May 30 2018 - 10:05 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
It just dawned on me that these larvae look and behave pretty similar to the ones from wasps that parasitise caterpillars.

Edited by LC3, May 30 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 10:31 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

It just dawned on me that these larvae look and behave pretty similar to the ones from wasps that parasitise caterpillars.

that's what i thought too! And they are quite large for fly larva.

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 10:48 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I suspect this one is infected as well, it has the same signs.

#13 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 30 2018 - 10:49 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Get that camera set up goin' again!

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 11:33 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

That picture there was taken exactly 24 hours ago, and know the gaster has enlarged. Look at these two images, and you'll see how much the gaster has stretched over the past 24 hours, an almost sure sign there is parasites. There doesn't appear to be a size change based off the images, but that's due to the fact the first image is zoomed in further. However it is slightly larger which is why it looks more stretched.

24 hours later....

Edited by T.C., May 30 2018 - 11:34 AM.

#15 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 30 2018 - 11:39 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm seriously impressed at the effort (I say you guys) put into this "hobby." I don't even want to call it a hobby. Being perfectly frank, I've had queens die and I never thought anything about it. Well.. it was poor care on my part.. but still. I don't think to check as to why they died and you're willing to put forth that effort to figure it out. Meanwhile I moved onto whatever nonsense I'm currently doing.. 

Talk about the worst present! Going to bed with it still ... building up pressure .... IF you can go to bed... Upon waking up, flying down stairs to see what's under the tree! But in this case, did she rupture with worms?! 

Is it silly to ask what you did with the parasites? Will you raise them until you can identify whatever it is? 

• rbarreto likes this

#16 Offline T.C. - Posted May 30 2018 - 11:43 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Is it silly to ask what you did with the parasites? Will you raise them until you can identify whatever it is? 

Well, I'm gonna try. All of this has been pointless if I don't know what it is in the end anyway.

#17 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 30 2018 - 12:09 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Eh... I wouldn't say entirely pointless... 

..how...do you go about doing that? Do they need a host body or an apple chunk?  

EDIT: Good luck!

Edited by sgheaton, May 30 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#18 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 30 2018 - 12:49 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I find a large number of Camponotus here are infected with parasites, I usually lose 25-50% depending on the day.  I'm not complaining, as there are so many Camponotus pennsylvanicus in my area, it helps keep their population down.  It's only disappointing if the infected queen was a species I wanted to keep.

Years ago my Dad used to work for a biomedical company that was trying to find environmentally friendly ways to destroy pest species like Camponotus, termites, and cockroaches using existing things from nature.  I went there a couple of times, and they huge colonies of all of them all over, both in the lab and an external warehouse for propagation. They used several techniques, and I remember one was using mites to wipe out Camponotus.  Worked really well, but unfortunately company didn't make it.  Wish I could remember more, but was a long time ago.

#19 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 30 2018 - 1:47 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

That picture there was taken exactly 24 hours ago, and know the gaster has enlarged. Look at these two images, and you'll see how much the gaster has stretched over the past 24 hours, an almost sure sign there is parasites. There doesn't appear to be a size change based off the images, but that's due to the fact the first image is zoomed in further. However it is slightly larger which is why it looks more stretched.

24 hours later....

This exact thing happened to my only Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen the other day. The only difference is that the maggots weren't as fast.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, May 30 2018 - 1:48 PM.

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 30 2018 - 3:32 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

My first thought is that these are flies, but time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users