• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Aaron's Camponotus castaneus Journal (Updated 3-4-19)

camponotus castaneus journal

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 6:10 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
These need to hibernate? I thought Florida ants don’t need to hibernate, because it is relatively warm and humid. Or am I thinking of those vacations magazines?

#22 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 4 2019 - 8:18 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

These need to hibernate? I thought Florida ants don’t need to hibernate, because it is relatively warm and humid. Or am I thinking of those vacations magazines?

Florida's winter temperatures vary extremely depending on latitude. South Florida has pretty much no ants that exhibit a diapause period (it's in a tropical climate) but I'm in north Florida where we can get freezing temperatures every winter, so my local Camponotus all need a diapause of about a month or two. It's mainly Camponotus though, as some other ants like Crematogaster and Pheidole are active and they grow year-round. Camponotus will pretty much always go into diapause whether you want them to or not.

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2019 - 9:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update?

I may be getting a young colony of these soon from another ant keeper. :yahoo: Do you have any general tips for them?

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#24 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 26 2019 - 5:38 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Update?

I may be getting a young colony of these soon from another ant keeper. :yahoo: Do you have any general tips for them?

They haven't progressed at all since the last update. Their larvae get to pupating size and then get eaten so I'm guessing their failing at spinning cocoons. I'm about to move them into a tar heel ants nest, so the rougher surface will probably get them back to normal again.

I unfortunately don't really have any tips as I'm still trying to figure mine out. They seem pretty basic to keep though, just extremely slow at growing.

• ANTdrew likes this

#25 Offline Acutus - Posted May 6 2019 - 7:52 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationMaryland

This is one of my target species this year! Hoping you get yours straightened out. :) I have a Queenless Colony and they  seem to do ok. Hoping to catch a Queen soon to start my own process. :)

Be sure to let us know about the Tar Heel setup and if it helps. :)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Aphaenogaster "NOT tennesseensis" fulva

#26 Offline Ant_Dude2908 - Posted May 30 2019 - 4:16 PM

Ant_Dude2908

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Update?

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2019 - 4:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I wish we had these in California! I love their color! :(

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(2 tubes  with five in one and two in the other.  )

---Monomorium cf. minimum(1 queen) Pheidole navigans(9 separate queens) Hypoponera sp. (1 queen)  Nylanderia vividula(1)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 30 2019 - 6:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, you only have every other amazing ant species in California! Lol
  • Acutus likes this

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline Acutus - Posted May 30 2019 - 6:46 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationMaryland

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Aphaenogaster "NOT tennesseensis" fulva

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 1 2019 - 6:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

100+ miles away!

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(2 tubes  with five in one and two in the other.  )

---Monomorium cf. minimum(1 queen) Pheidole navigans(9 separate queens) Hypoponera sp. (1 queen)  Nylanderia vividula(1)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, castaneus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users