• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Arkansas, 5/27/18

Best Answer VoidElecent , May 27 2018 - 4:42 PM

Lovely thread, but I am sorry to say this is a wasp. It reminds me of Tiphia sp., although you'll have to refer to a more experienced hobbyist.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Wren - Posted May 27 2018 - 4:19 PM

Wren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Just outside Wynne, AR
2. Date of collection: 5/27/18
3. Habitat of collection: Grassy area bordering a mixed hardwood forest
4. Length (from head to gaster): 7 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black, hairy, hair on the gaster forms silvery stripes, hair on the legs is silver closer to the body and yellow further from the body, antenna look like they are yellow on the end.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Antenna curve but don't have a distinct bend
7. Distinguishing behavior:  None that I have noticed
8. Nest description: She landed on my arm, and there were a lot of nests around, so I am not sure which one she originated from.

9. Nuptial flight time and date:  She still has her wings, so I am assuming the flight was recent.  She landed on my arm around 4:50 p.m. on 5/27/18.

Side

20180527_172744.jpg

20180527_172808.jpg

Bottom

20180527_172217.jpg

If there is another view that would make identification easier let me know and I will try to get it.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 27 2018 - 4:42 PM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Lovely thread, but I am sorry to say this is a wasp. It reminds me of Tiphia sp., although you'll have to refer to a more experienced hobbyist.

• rbarreto likes this

#3 Offline Wren - Posted May 27 2018 - 4:58 PM

Wren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Now I'm embarrassed.  Not only did I not catch a queen, I didn't even catch an ant.  :facepalm:

Thanks for the help.

• VoidElecent and rbarreto like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users