• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Clinton County, Kentucky, U.S. 27May18

kentucky

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jnew42 - Posted May 27 2018 - 10:42 AM

Jnew42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKentucky

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Clinton County, Albany, Kentucky U.S.
2. Date of collection: 22 May 18; About 10 a.m.
3. Habitat of collection: Near residence under some scrap lumber.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 12 to 15 mm or slightly larger than one half inch.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark read head with a lighter red orange thorax and a black gaster with three gray stripes
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Mandible closes completely, forming a wedge shape, sharp bend in antenna at about half their length.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Quick moving, never attempted to jump from the scrap while she was on it.
8. Nest description: Saw no nest close by, but there were small black ants in the area also.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Unknown.

I am fairly new to the hobby, and while I am as close to positive as I can be this is a queen, though I am less sure if she is a Camponotus of some type or if she is a Formica, further it is difficult to identify what species are in this area.

Thank you in advance for any help.20180523_094142%202_zpsoxxbwaqm.jpg

Edited by Jnew42, May 27 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 27 2018 - 11:14 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Looks like a Myrmentoma subgenus Camponotus queen. We'd need a closer look at the head to identify her further. Are you sure the measurements are accurate?

• VoidElecent and Jnew42 like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Jnew42 - Posted May 27 2018 - 11:44 AM

Jnew42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKentucky

She might have went to 3/4 an inch, but that would be max, I didn't want to disturb her to much as I had nothing at all to put her in so just got a couple quick photo's, but that was really the only good one due to her rapid movements and my crappy phone. Her mandible was prominent though, a wedge that was fully closed with something similar to a lightening bolt pattern is the best I could describe it.

EDIT: I found her about six hours before my order of supplies. My luck in fine form.

Edited by Jnew42, May 27 2018 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users