• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Phoenix's ''Nylanderia sp.'' Journal — 05/26/2018

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Phoenix - Posted May 26 2018 - 12:45 AM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

05/26/2018

This colony began with a queen I caught back in mid-February, in a different area though (pretty far away actually). From what I've noticed, practically every Nylanderia queen I've caught with the exception of one was infertile. Perhaps the competing species around my usual area was too much for them to handle? That could explain why Nylanderia queens are found few in between. Regardless, I'll still be on the lookout for more of them.

Anyways, like I said, I caught their mother back in mid-February (around 18th or 19th) near the boundaries of a house. Fast forward a month and a half, workers began to emerge. Once a handful of workers have emerged, I fed them with a small slice of an apple core (most of my colonies love that) and they took it quite well. Protein-wise, they're fine with mealworms, although they have quite a bit of trouble in finishing them despite having so many mouths to feed. 

5TS6cAA.jpg

Edited by Phoenix, May 29 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• Bracchymyrmex, VoidElecent and rdurham02 like this

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users