• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

larvae growing extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntTitan - Posted May 9 2021 - 9:05 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

So I have a small crematogaster colony with 3 workers and some brood. So as you can imagine every additional worker is a big help to the colony. Problem is though is that I've noticed that the larvae grow fine until they get big and to the point where they look like they look like they should be ready to pupate. From there instead of pupating they stay like that for 2-3 weeks before they pupate. They have plenty of sugar, protein, water, and my room which they are in is usually 70+ degrees. Is it that the larvae are growing fast and so when they get to that big size they have to wait for there body's clock to tell them its time to pupate, is this natural, or is it something else. Also if you have any more suggestions on how to make it so that they grow faster, that would be greatly appreciated because it takes them from egg to worker 4-5 weeks.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 9 2021 - 9:20 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Well the temp probably needs to be higher then 70 degrees. Also 4-5 weeks is pretty good in my opinion but I know that others can come up with better answers. Sorry if any info is wrong.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline Fatatoille - Posted May 10 2021 - 12:53 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)

Crematogaster are pretty thermophilic, Most colonies will quite happily stick their brood as close as possible to a heat source; you could easily keep them at 85 degrees. If you don't have one, I'd invest in a heat cable, though remember to provide a heat gradient, they should explode in population after that. If you have any further questions about crematogaster, I would suggest messaging ANTdrew here on FC, he has a huge crematogaster cerasi colony and I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Edited by Fatatoille, May 10 2021 - 12:55 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

#4 Offline AntTitan - Posted May 10 2021 - 8:37 AM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

ok, I'll make sure to do that. Thanks

#5 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 10 2021 - 9:17 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Try to change up the protein food

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2021 - 10:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, as mentioned, they need to be way warmer for optimum growth. Shoot for upper 80s-low 90s.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Metalstep - Posted May 11 2021 - 8:30 AM

Metalstep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKingston, TN
I too have crematogasters and would like for the colony to grow a little quicker, as we all do. If using a heat cable under a mini hearth does it go under one side only and does a thermostat need to be used?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 9:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What I would do is tape a loop of the heat cable to one side opposite the water tower.

• Metalstep likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users