• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Ants

southern california map sightings dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline aniles71077 - Posted June 10 2015 - 6:39 AM

aniles71077

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

May be best to leave my post off. I am a newbie and I only stated P. californicus because that was the forum's suggestion based off of pictures of workers. In any case, I'm just ESTATIC to have found and collected a queen that isn't L. humile

Edited by aniles71077, June 10 2015 - 6:40 AM.

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 10 2015 - 4:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I looked at that location and it's right in the middle of the city. I assume they were nesting in that dirt lot. I think these would most likely be P. californicus for that alone.

#23 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 16 2015 - 7:58 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

What's going on with the map? Am I the only one seeing a mess of points in the high desert?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 16 2015 - 8:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh haha. I forgot to remove those. I put those on there to create a border around the areas that received heavy rain to make it easy to navigate while driving.

#25 Offline William. T - Posted June 16 2015 - 5:21 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

May be best to leave my post off. I am a newbie and I only stated P. californicus because that was the forum's suggestion based off of pictures of workers. In any case, I'm just ESTATIC to have found and collected a queen that isn't L. humile

Don't you have S. Invicta? Just pour water on a mound....

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#26 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 18 2015 - 12:13 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I've been playing with ArcGIS lately and exported your map to GIS. I'm not 100% familiar with the capabilities of GIS yet, but a few useful features I can think of would be filtering by species, date, etc. Let me know if there's anything else you think would be useful and I'll see if it can be done.

Edited by Foogoo, June 19 2015 - 11:21 AM.
Removed duplicate content

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#27 Offline aeximius - Posted July 8 2015 - 7:51 AM

aeximius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Andrew, this map is great- what a useful resource!  Thanks so much for generating, and I hope to contribute in the coming months.  Quick question- do you happen to have the data (coordinates, etc) associated with each point in an excel or similar format and, if so, would you be willing to share it with me?  I'm interested in filtering to look at just the Formica species localities, and I didn't see how to do it with google maps.

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 8 2015 - 9:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, Google's "My Maps" application is not very nice. I don't have anything in Excel unfortunately, but I do have the KML file. It can be imported into Google maps or Google Earth, and probably other applications, so you can do what you want with it.

BTW, you might find this thread (http://www.formicult...ravida-journal/) helpful as well. It looks like nurbs has found a Formica species I haven't knowingly come across yet.

#29 Offline aeximius - Posted July 10 2015 - 12:38 PM

aeximius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for the tip - the photos and video of Formica aserva are super cool!  I am familiar with F. sanguinea, but I'd never seen any relatives before.  I was just near the trail where nurbs found the queen last w/e, too!  I wish I'd spotted these!  Thanks also for being willing to share your KML file- that format would be fine for me.  Is there a private message function on this forum?  Email would also work.  

I also noticed that you found Formica accreta out on the icehouse canyon trail near mt. baldy.  Have you ever spotted these anywhere else?  I found some black Formica up near the summit of Keller Peak- unfortunately, I didn't find the nest entrance in the vegetation.  I grabbed a few workers, but I don't have a microscope yet.  Thus, I haven't been able to take a close look, but they look like members of the fusca group to me.  For this w/e, I can't decide whether to go up toward mt. baldy, or whether to head out to the coast via rt. 74, to check out all that F. francoeuri habitat on the way...  

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 10 2015 - 1:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have attached the files to the original post, so you can download them now.

That's awesome, I have never seen black Formica anywhere else around here but that one spot on my map, and it's a hell of a hike to get there, so I haven't been back since. That was a while back, before I had a microscope, so I never got any specimens or microscope pictures. Because of this, the ID was only based on some low resolution pictures I posted on the forum. The only thing everybody was pretty sure about was that they were from the fusca group.

#31 Offline aeximius - Posted July 10 2015 - 3:28 PM

aeximius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Cool!  Well, once I'm set up and get these guys identified (possibly with input from the forum...), I'll send you more info.  At some point, I'll probably go back up there to look for nests.  And thanks again (!) for the map data.  SO cool that you've compiled all of your observations like this.

• dspdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: southern california, map, sightings, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users