• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone want any Linepithema humile colonies? (Southern California)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 17 2015 - 11:39 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I caught 5 queens and a few of their workers a few days ago out of pure opportunity. I hate these things with a passion. A few have already lay eggs. If you have any species (pretty much any species) to trade, that would be even better.

Otherwise, they're going in the freezer.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 17 2015 - 11:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would... But they have not made it to Simi Valley yet, and if one of them gets out, its basically my fault, etc, so I can't. :/

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 17 2015 - 11:44 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I would... But they have not made it to Simi Valley yet, and if one of them gets out, its basically my fault, etc, so I can't. :/

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, only if you're in an area where they already are. Despite these things making my entire life in Socal miserable, they seem to be a super easy colony to raise. But you can bet I'm not going to sustain them willingly if nobody takes them.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 18 2015 - 12:12 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You should try, or come up with something more creative than a freezer. :) Alza can point you in the right way.

#5 Offline LAnt - Posted January 18 2015 - 8:16 AM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Find some solenopsis colony and dump them on there.

#6 Offline Alza - Posted January 18 2015 - 11:17 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

The solenopsis wouldn't kill them in my location. I usually just throw their test tubes in very hot liquids and watch it melt. there's many other methods but this one is entertaining...

• Gregory2455 likes this

#7 Offline William. T - Posted January 18 2015 - 1:55 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland
Maybe you can freeze them and feed them your ants? Queens are full of nutritious content.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 18 2015 - 7:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The solenopsis wouldn't kill them in my location. I usually just throw their test tubes in very hot liquids and watch it melt. there's many other methods but this one is entertaining...

rofl Too funny!

#9 Offline Alza - Posted January 18 2015 - 8:59 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Oh, Pheidole I've done a similar method, Live feedings. 

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 18 2015 - 9:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Live feedings? Alza you should start breeding mosquito fish and train them to be hemolymph-thirsty for Linepithema humile queens & workers. :)

#11 Offline Alza - Posted January 18 2015 - 9:04 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

is that really possible ? that would be rather entertaining...

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 18 2015 - 9:05 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Oh, Pheidole I've done a similar method, Live feedings. 

Wait, you fed them to Pheidole or you executed Pheidole?

#13 Offline Alza - Posted January 18 2015 - 9:13 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

x.x i meant I've done something similar to feeding colonies frozen argentines 

#14 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 18 2015 - 9:52 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Can I has?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#15 Offline Alza - Posted January 18 2015 - 10:17 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

yea, what are the prices. I might want to have some spare queens for tests....

#16 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 18 2015 - 10:19 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

yea, what are the prices. I might want to have some spare queens for tests....

No price! I can't fathom anyone paying cash money for these demons. It would be nice to get a queen, any (non-Linepithema) queen for trade though. Or at least 5 test tubes to replace these...

#17 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 18 2015 - 10:24 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Put them all into one and give em to me, I pretty sure they will not kill each other
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#18 Offline William. T - Posted January 19 2015 - 6:15 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland
Maybe you can buy a pet desert horned lizard and feed the argentine ants to the reptile?
Or perhaps you can test out the new bottle of Raid you bought?

Edited by Pheidole, January 19 2015 - 6:16 AM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#19 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 22 2015 - 1:53 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The Horned lizard only eats Pogonomyrmex (and termites). They won't eat Argentine ants at all, which is why they've died off mostly in California.

As for these queens. They should be free :P I still wouldn't want them though. Anyone that has them in their area (and hopefully no one actually introduces them into their area if they aren't there)...could just as easily pour water on the nest and get free queens. They, along with Pheidole megacephala, have been the easiest two ant species to get. :P When my ex-roommate/friend got the Pheidole megacephala they must have been really really easy to get...as he sucks at catching things lol. Couldn't even use a HUGE bug net to catch butterflies (well actually, I think they are actually day-time moths. The small orange moths that get the flowers)...but anyway...yeah...xD

In any case, Argentine ants are so easy to get lol.

Edited by Vendayn, January 22 2015 - 1:56 AM.

#20 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 22 2015 - 8:08 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Do you mean free in the wild or free of cost? If the latter, I agree, which is why I'm not taking $$ for them. But I won't object to a trade!

I caught another queen yesterday when I was only trying to catch workers. I coated a test tube with sugar water and set it in a planter with a known colony I haven't killed yet, they literally moved right in. I've yet to see any Pheidole where I am. Do you have them where you live or just out in open areas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users