• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Please! Central Cali

queen id

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline lpst - Posted May 19 2018 - 9:09 AM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hello everyone! This is a very exciting day for me! After setting up, searching for and failing at finding a queen for a year, I finally found one! I was traveling on the I-5 heading to dinner and shopping at the Tejon Outlets at the base of the Grapevine between Los Angeles and Bakersfield. I got out of the car in front of the restaurant, looked down, and there she was, one wing left and scrambling about! I had nothing with me but my fingers and a plastic bag so with my wife and kids standing on the sidewalk not very enthused, and about 50 people staring oddly, I was able to not only embarrass my wife apparently, but catch my first queen! I filled the bag with air and put her in it for the ride home. She is now doing well in my Tar Heel Ants Atom formicarium. She is about 11mm long, dark red head, red thorax, and blackish colored abdomen. I thought maybe a Camponotus? Can anyone ID for me please? Still working on posting the photos. Thanks!

Edited by lpst, May 19 2018 - 9:53 AM.

Present colonies: Solenopsis Xyloni
Past colonies: Camponotus Vicinus, Solenopsis Xyloni, Brachymyrmex

#2 Offline lpst - Posted May 19 2018 - 9:16 AM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

gallery_2488_1196_440062.jpg

gallery_2488_1196_900476.jpg

gallery_2488_1196_711420.jpg

#3 Offline Phoenix - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:08 AM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Looks like a species of Solenopsis to me.

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:11 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
S. invicta probably.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:20 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Solenopsis sp.

Solenopsis invicta? I'm not sure.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:24 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
S. xyloni then?

#7 Offline lpst - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:27 AM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Awesome! Thank you so much!

#8 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:46 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Can you get a clearer shot? Looks like S. invictus which is illegal to transport and interactive with in most CA counties.

Edited by StopSpazzing, May 19 2018 - 11:47 AM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#9 Offline BobJ - Posted May 19 2018 - 12:30 PM

BobJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

What time of day was she caught?  If between 1 - 4pm then she could be solenopsis invicta.  She still had one wing which means she probably landed not long before your discovery of her.  If it was a sundown discovery then she most likely is not solenopsis invicta.

#10 Offline lpst - Posted May 19 2018 - 2:52 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Can you get a clearer shot? Looks like S. invictus which is illegal to transport and interactive with in most CA counties.

That's the best I can get for now I would prefer not to stress her out for photos with my camera but maybe in a few weeks. I will look into legalities, If it helps, I only live about 15-20 min drive from where I found her, and it's in the same county.

#11 Offline lpst - Posted May 19 2018 - 2:56 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What time of day was she caught?  If between 1 - 4pm then she could be solenopsis invicta.  She still had one wing which means she probably landed not long before your discovery of her.  If it was a sundown discovery then she most likely is not solenopsis invicta.

it was about 6-7pm close to sunset 

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 19 2018 - 2:59 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

In that locality it should be S. xyloni which is what this one appears to be.

#13 Offline lpst - Posted May 19 2018 - 3:28 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

From what I could see searching photos of both S. invicta, and S. xyloni,  it resembles S. xyloni the most, especially in the abdomen. The abdominal sections are spaced equally on the S. xyloni, where as the abdominal sections on the S. invicta start as a large section then abruptly get smaller. I apologize if I am not using the correct nomenclature.

#14 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 19 2018 - 10:17 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Along with what others have said, the first picture shows lighter red coloration. You got yourself a native fire ant queen, Solenopsis xyloni :). These grow fast, and sting, so be careful.
  • lpst likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#15 Offline lpst - Posted May 20 2018 - 1:01 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Along with what others have said, the first picture shows lighter red coloration. You got yourself a native fire ant queen, Solenopsis xyloni :). These grow fast, and sting, so be careful.

Thank you, from what I’ve read about them so far, I agree. I am already thinking for the future and prepping a larger habitat, she’s in a small founding chamber now and I have a larger 5 chamber ready. What I cannot find is what type of Queen the S. xyloni is, Fully-claustral, Semi-claustral, or Social parasite. I did raise the temperature a bit in the room she is in, is 75°F too low of a temperature? it stays at about 75-80 unless I turn the a/c on.

#16 Offline BobJ - Posted May 20 2018 - 2:41 PM

BobJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

She's most likely fully claustral.  Temperature wise 75 should be fine.  If they're like solenopsis invicta then 85 is their max.  Solenopsis invicta likes 80-82 but that also means the brood develop faster and they become unmanageable quicker.

• lpst likes this

#17 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 20 2018 - 3:40 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Thank you, from what I’ve read about them so far, I agree. I am already thinking for the future and prepping a larger habitat, she’s in a small founding chamber now and I have a larger 5 chamber ready. What I cannot find is what type of Queen the S. xyloni is, Fully-claustral, Semi-claustral, or Social parasite. I did raise the temperature a bit in the room she is in, is 75°F too low of a temperature? it stays at about 75-80 unless I turn the a/c on.
Fully claustral, for fastest growth keep at 85 Fahrenheit, 75 for more controlled growth.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#18 Offline lpst - Posted May 20 2018 - 6:15 PM

lpst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks! She already has eggs! At least from what could tell, I peeked in today and there were three tiny white eggs she was moving next to the water tube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users