• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker ID & HELP please!! NY

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 8:50 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
*I just want to be clear; this id is not for the queen. I already had her positively identified as a Lasius umbratus a few days ago. Photos are in varying stages of introduction and all over the place. I kidnapped a host colony and I'm interested in your help and expertise on 1. what are the workers I've been introducing her too (I assumed at the time they were L.niger, but now I'm not so sure) and 2. I've been assuming those 'pupae' are larvae but they're AWEFULY large, and I'm wondering if they're fly maggots or something else, and I'm concerned I should take them out*
Thank you guys, any help would be appreciated. ~Loki

1. Location of collection: Ulster county, ny, us
2. Date of collection: 5/18/18
3. Habitat of collection: deep under a rock
4. Length (from head to gaster): workers ~2mm, no bigger than 3mm for sure
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: black, light brown in photos? Kind of striped gaster which is pointed, instead of completely round.
6. Distinguishing characteristics:
7. Distinguishing behavior:
8. Nest description: a rock that went about 6in-12in into the ground. When I lifted it up and out, these workers were there and carting these larvae things away so I scooped some up.
9. Nuptial flight time and date: n/a

Some good shots of the 'larvae' if they are:

Top/clearer view of unknown workers:

Edited by StayLoki, May 21 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 21 2018 - 8:52 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

They are definitely ant larvae, but they could be alate brood or even brood of another species.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 8:54 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I'm thinking I'm just going to take them out and let the workers just tend to her. Not sure if it'll be good or bad lol

Anyone know if the host workers are l.niger?
I know the photos are horrible, sorry

#4 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 8:58 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Thanks Canadian anter!
Since I don't know what they're gonna be, I think I'm just going to take them out.
Hope it doesn't give the workers reason to think she's a FAKE lololololol

#5 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 9:21 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
All together now. Took the larvae out.

#6 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 12:28 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Are the workers Lasius niger?
Any ideas what I actually merged her with?
For observational/scientific purposes.

#7 Offline CNewton - Posted May 21 2018 - 12:43 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

In my uneducated eye, those are lasius. They aren't attacking her, she isn't killing them. See what happens. Keep them fed with proteins, you might get lucky!

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 21 2018 - 1:00 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Your workers are niger group Lasius; possibly L. alienus, given their coloration. 

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 21 2018 - 1:12 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The workers are Lasius alienusLasius niger is very rare in North America.

#10 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 1:43 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
alienus?? Really. Wow.

@Mettcollsuss, I had no idea l.niger isn't in my area.. Thanks for letting me know!

#11 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 2:31 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Thank you guys so much!!

#12 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 21 2018 - 7:02 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If the larvae are Lasius, they would have to be queen larvae. I would take whatever that pink thing is out of there and only offer the colony small insects and sugary liquid, in a foraging arena.

Niger-group Lasius can't be reliably distinguished without a view of the teeth on the mandibles and the hairs on the antennal scapes.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#13 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 7:22 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
It's only her and six workers?
I will consider a foraging arena when their numbers are larger and if she actually starts laying...

The pink thing is a sliver of steak, and they seem to it like so far. Insects have exoskeletons that they have to digest through and can contain outside bacteria and parasites.

I'm pretty sure high quality protein is the key; my L.flavus is laying about an egg a day with the same..

#14 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 7:25 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Either way everything was introduced to her, and isn't her larvae

#15 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 21 2018 - 8:41 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It can even be a tupperware. Unlike forcing a colony relocation, there is no minimum of workers before a foraging arena becomes useful or necessary; it's what allows them to keep their nest clean. Insects are the ideal food for ants since much of their protein is available in drinkable form, with a closer composition to the ant's own body (adult ants cannot ingest solid protein sources, but larvae can.) Soft flies like Drosophila are a favorite food for young colonies. If you freeze them, any parasites that happen to be present will not survive.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users