• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

straywolf94's C. Vicinus 2018 journal

camponotus vicinus

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted May 17 2018 - 9:40 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I've always liked ants and have wanted to start an ant colony but never knew how until I came across AntsCanada and this forum.  After reading up a bit, I figured I did not have the time/resources to go out to hunt for ant queens myself.

So I picked up 4 Camponotus vicinus queens from Nurbs about a week ago.  They came in these little round containers and 2 of the 4 queens already started laying eggs.  But I had to take a trip to the East Coast for a wedding so I asked my coworker to water them every few days while I was gone.  Came back to find out the 3rd queen laid eggs as well.  Queen #4 was much smaller and hadn't laid any eggs while in the little round container (probably because Nurbs dropped the container to the ground showing me how to make a test tube setup haha).  When I transfered Queen #4 to a test tube this morning she laid a few eggs soon after.  Unfortunately, on the ride home from work, seems like she ate her eggs due to the disturbance.  

I gave all 4 of them a drop of sugar water and transferred them all to test tube setups in my garage.  Hopefully, they will settle down and I'll keep you guys posted on my first attempt to raise a C. Vicinus colony - though I hear these colonies never seem to get that big....

All 4 queens in their new temporary founding chamber setup.

OOyygUD.jpg

EuEEdcq.jpg

cZK5NIA.jpg

E4qMv9I.jpg

DylvYbh.jpg

• nurbs, OldManTrashcan, Martialis and 5 others like this

#2 Offline nurbs - Posted May 19 2018 - 3:15 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Looks great Stray. Keep an eye on that last one with the smaller gaster, she may be infertile. But sometimes it also takes them longer to start laying eggs, so it depends. It's why I sell single dealate queens in batches, so that at the very least one will be fertile. 

Looking at the images, three of them look great. When they are caught, their gasters are all small and expand as they start to settle.

Don't be afraid to feed them a tiny drop of sweets! Once a month should be good, they don't need much. Place it near the entrance.

Also, antkeepers who drop or dump their ants violently are mean.

Edited by nurbs, May 19 2018 - 3:16 PM.

• Enderz likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 19 2018 - 8:56 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Looks great Stray. Keep an eye on that last one with the smaller gaster, she may be infertile. But sometimes it also takes them longer to start laying eggs, so it depends. It's why I sell single dealate queens in batches, so that at the very least one will be fertile.

Looking at the images, three of them look great. When they are caught, their gasters are all small and expand as they start to settle.

Don't be afraid to feed them a tiny drop of sweets! Once a month should be good, they don't need much. Place it near the entrance.

Also, antkeepers who drop or dump their ants violently are mean.

Hehehehe... Good thing I haven't watched your videos that have graphic content in them, otherwise even you might be mean! But you obviously would never even think about dropping your ants into new setups violently right?:lol:

Edited by YsTheAnt, May 19 2018 - 8:57 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline Enderz - Posted May 19 2018 - 11:00 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Nurbs you sound a bit Hypocritical to me, considering some of your erm... more violent videos :) . Also Stray I also picked up 4 vicinus queens from nurbs, they all have around 8-12 eggs as well with one slow queen with only a few. Hope you do well with these gals, and I'll defidently be looking forward to updates :D

P.S. these are my first Camponotus aswell so hopefully we can share mistakes. Also, at what tempreture are you keeping them, and remember to turn off heating at night (keep them at around mid-70Fs at night).

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 20 2018 - 7:55 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Nurbs you sound a bit Hypocritical to me, considering some of your erm... more violent videos :) . Also Stray I also picked up 4 vicinus queens from nurbs, they all have around 8-12 eggs as well with one slow queen with only a few. Hope you do well with these gals, and I'll defidently be looking forward to updates :D

P.S. these are my first Camponotus aswell so hopefully we can share mistakes. Also, at what tempreture are you keeping them, and remember to turn off heating at night (keep them at around mid-70Fs at night).

It doesn't hurt to heat them 24/7, it's what I do, and all my colas have either dark Pupae or 2+ workers already. I have a feeling nurbs was just kidding :lol:.

#6 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted May 20 2018 - 4:24 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thanks nurbs, was worth the drive lol.

EnderzATwar411, I have the heating cable right at the end of the glass tube, and they seem to be stacking the eggs right up against that cotton.  Took a infrared temperature gun to it, and seems like the eggs are at around 81CF.  I've been keeping the cable plugged in 24/7.  My garage is between 68-74CF ambient these days, could heat up as summer approaches, so I will have to be careful about that or move them into one of the indoor rooms.  Looking forward to following your journal updates as well!

VjHVWp7.jpg

Couldn't help taking a peek today and looks like Queen#4 has some new eggs :)

1oOzfRj.jpg

I just put together some nurbs pencilcase fornicariums today, and will move the test tube inside the case after it sets.

Bn1O0Ss.jpg

A question for you vets, I'm worried that my cotton plug was too tight and the water isn't seeping through to the chamber (pics below).  Is this a problem?  If so, how should I fix it?

kYJP5Aj.jpg

qNJ4NvZ.jpg

u0NdpBX.jpg

OAKOaHT.jpg

Edited by Straywolf94, May 21 2018 - 6:24 AM.

• Enderz and Karma like this

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 20 2018 - 8:14 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
The cotton plug will wick water, don't worry about it :). By the way, I believe you meant 80 degrees Fahrenheit, not 80 degrees Celsius :P, they would be fried ants in a stick if they were that hot.
  • Karma likes this

#8 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted May 21 2018 - 6:14 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Yes 80F. :P

#9 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 21 2018 - 10:32 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
I’ll confirm, your cotton is fine. They won’t look wet, and th ants will have to “dig” for water. This is perfect.

#10 Offline Enderz - Posted May 21 2018 - 2:32 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

80F is good, and yes the cotton will be fine, I'm currently keeping them at around 80F (sometimes it fluctuates).

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#11 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 21 2018 - 6:48 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I’ll confirm, your cotton is fine. They won’t look wet, and th ants will have to “dig” for water. This is perfect.

You don't want them to dig, else the tube may flood :). His tube works because the cotton will graudually wick the water from the reservoir, which is best in my experience.
  • Enderz likes this

#12 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted May 28 2018 - 12:27 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

5/28/18 Update:

I moved all 4 test tubes into their pencil case formicariums and set them up in a guest bedroom where they won't be disturbed.

eUUDABa.jpg

Queen #1: seems like she is down to 4-5 eggs...  she is covering her egg pile so hard to tell if any of them hatched.

GHeKHBq.jpg

Queen #2: has her first pupa, can't wait til it ecloses.  Seems like she pulled some cotton and put it on the pupa.

XyWLcu8.jpg

Queen #3: has a couple of really large larvae now.

sv5AgK8.jpg

Queen #4: Still sitting on her egg pile which seems to have gotten larger (9-10 eggs)/

uwH7V27.jpg

• nurbs, Aaron567 and Karma like this

#13 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 15 2018 - 8:40 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

6/15/18 Update:

Queen #1 not doing too good.  She still has about 3 eggs and 1-2 small larva she is tending.  

Queen #2 got her first nanitic today! :)

lveIeV3.jpg

Queen #3 looks like she is going to get her first nanitic anytime too.

Id4TTfU.jpg

Queen#3 feeding on sugar water

A few hours after the initial picture, I checked back and the first nanatic had just eclosed.  I left some sugar water and 2 fruit flies for them at the entrance, but unfortunately one of the flies was still squirming around, so they did not approach.  Came back a few hours later and found the flies chomped up.

1PaAKrm.jpg

Queen #4 has a 1-2 pupa and 1-2 larva and seems to be doing well.  She was skittish at first, but got very bold when she saw the fruit fly and sugar water left at the entrance.  The fly got demolished.

Tvak1Va.jpg

I picked up a can of wingless flies at Petsmart, and plan to keep the fly colony going as a food source.  Will try mealworms and superworms in a week or two.

How often should I be feeding them going forward?  How many fruit flies per meal? 

• Enderz likes this

#14 Offline Enderz - Posted June 15 2018 - 8:49 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Yay they got nanitics, mine did aswell. I just feed them sugar water whenever they look empty (as in the workers aren't full of food), but I would just feed fruit flies every week. 

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#15 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 23 2018 - 6:27 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

6/23/18 Update:

Queen #1 laid more eggs, but wondering if she is infertile at this point.

zShTgBS.jpg

Queen #2 has 3 workers total now:

eZlJ796.jpg

Queen #3 has 4 workers, and seems more are on the way (my 4yr old interupted my filming haha):

Queen #4 has a few pupa so she is playing catch-up but should have workers soon:

0tBOSts.jpg

I've been feeding them honey, sugar water, and fruit flies every 2-3 days.  I leave the food at the test tube entrance and when I check next day, its usually gone.   Should I leave the food outside in the pencil case out-world and have them forage for it?

The workers don't seem to be very active in exploring, just huddling around the queen and eggs most of the time. Is this normal?  I guess I shouldn't expect to see much activity until they get more numbers.

Edited by Straywolf94, June 23 2018 - 6:29 PM.

• Enderz likes this

#16 Offline Enderz - Posted June 24 2018 - 5:09 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

The same thing that happened with your #1 queen happened with one of my supposed fertile queens. Out of the blue she decided to lay eggs and is now looking nice and plump. I guess I will need to wait and see if they develop in order to be sure. Also, the first few workers will pretty much just tend the brood and the queen will do most of the defense, I reccomend putting the food near or into the tube at first.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#17 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 24 2018 - 6:20 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Caught a video of Queen #2's 4th worker eclosing today.  It took 20-30 minutes in total from start to finish.  If you want to jump to the end, just go to the 2nd video.  Video is a bit shaky since I didn't have camera mount.

Start eclosure (10+minutes):

Completely eclosed (4-5 minutes):

Edited by Straywolf94, June 24 2018 - 6:29 PM.

• Karma and CoolColJ like this

#18 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted October 16 2018 - 9:54 AM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Been lazy with the updates...

Picture updates from: 7/29/18.

Queen#1 eggs not hatching - she's infertile.

yBpQNbA.jpg

Other queens doing well. 

9Mt3CdP.jpg

ybIgKXh.jpg

huP2WAl.jpg

wAVmn70.jpg

Z0cwvNS.jpg

FOBLpui.jpg

pHexD0h.jpg

• nurbs likes this

#19 Offline Rstheant - Posted October 28 2018 - 9:46 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Looks a lot like C Quercicola

#20 Offline nurbs - Posted October 28 2018 - 9:15 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Was queen #1 the one dropped by that idiot Nurbs?

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/