• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fanatic's Solenopsis Journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FanaticAnt - Posted June 28 2018 - 2:07 AM

FanaticAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I have caught a total of 8 Solenopsis xyloni queens in the past two weeks. The first of which I will be keeping monogamous and already has about 20-30ish brood in different stages. Two of the queens will be kept in a polygamous arrangement and hopefully won't show signs of aggression towards one another. Finally the last 5 I will also be keeping together in the hopes that they work together, recent studies have found Solenopsis sp. in the wild being polygamous. I'm having trouble uploading photos, but will post some asap.

Edited by FanaticAnt, June 28 2018 - 2:09 AM.

#2 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted June 30 2018 - 8:46 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Oh boy. Good luck, these guys will grow quick. I hope they won’t be too much of an handful for you :rofl:

:>

#3 Offline FanaticAnt - Posted June 30 2018 - 9:21 PM

FanaticAnt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Update: the two queen setup has their first eggs and they both seem to be caring for them. The single queens brood is mostly in their larval stage now. The 5 queen setup also has a mound of eggs, but some queens don't seem interested.

Thanks Solenoqueen, its mainly an experiment but I will be keeping the most successful of the three.

Edited by FanaticAnt, June 30 2018 - 9:24 PM.

#4 Offline Gabraime - Posted June 30 2018 - 11:53 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
Hey bro I caught like 25 solenopsis xilony queens 2 weeks ago and Iam doing the same experiment, in 3 small containers I put 3 queens on each, now 1 of the containers have only 1 queen left iam sure that , that queen killed the other 2 queens( because the bodies do not have legs and heads), the other 2 containers have the 3 queens with a massive eggs, well now they are at stage of larve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users